A Virtual Environment for Learning Aiport Emergency Management Protocols
This paper presents a virtual environment designed to enhance the learning of airport emergency management protocols. The learning is performed in an informal manner, with each learner playing a different role in a particular emergency simulation. Learners interact within the virtual environment, managing the available information and following the steps prescribed for each type of emergency in the Airport Emergency Plan of the Spanish Civil Defence Organization. The simulation can be run in different modes of difficulty, and can be used as a learning tool as well as an evaluation tool to measure the accuracy of the learner’s actuation within the protocol. It can also support stand-alone training having some of the emergency roles played out by the computer. The virtual environment has been built using DimensioneX, an open source multi-player online game engine.
KeywordsVirtual environment emergency game engine simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rolfe, J., Saunders, D., Powel, T.: Simulations and Games for Emergency and Crisis Management: Simulations and Games for Emergency and Crisis Management. Routledge (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.McGrath, D., McGrath, S.P.: Simulation and network-centric emergency response, Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference (I/ITSEC), Orlando, Florida (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Prensky, M.: True Believers: Digital Game-Based Learning in the Military LearningCircuits.com (February 2001), http://www.astd.org/LC/2001/0201_prensky.htm (11/02/09)
- 5.McGrath, D., Hill, D.: UnrealTriage: A Game-Based Simulation for Emergency Response. In: The Hunstville Simulation Conference, Sponsored by the Society for Modeling and Simulation International (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Virtual preparation for ARFF emergencies, Industrial Fire Journal (October 2008), http://www.hemmingfire.com/news/fullstory.php/Virtual_preparation_for_ARFF_emergencies.html (11/02/09)
- 7.McGrath, D., Hunt, A., Bates, M.: A Simple Distributed Simulation Architecture for Emergency Response Exercises. In: Proceedings of the 2005 Ninth IEEE International Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real-Time Applications (DS-RT 2005) (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Dirección General de Protección Civil Española. Subdirección General de Planes y Operaciones. Plan de Emergencia de Aeropuertos (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Klenk, J.: Emergency Information Management and Communications. Disaster Management Training Programme. DHA (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.DimensioneX Online Multiplayer Game Engine, http://www.dimensionex.net