A Business Performance Measurement Model for Mobile User Interface
In this paper, we present a new framework for measuring business performance of mobile user interfaces (UIs). Until now, the performance measurement of mobile UI was mainly to assess usability performance. Yet, as mobile phones are increasingly replacing wired devices, stakeholders in mobile phones began to invest a lot of time and money to mobile UI development. As a result, it is desirable that the business performance of mobile UI has to be measured qualitatively as well as quantitatively. This paper develops a measurement model for business performance of mobile UI based on BSC (Balanced Score Card). The proposed model contains “Financial”, “Customer”, “Internal Business Processes”, and “Learning & Growth” perspectives. We applied the presented measurement model in a real world mobile UI design project. Finally, we demonstrate the benefit of applying the proposed model to quantitatively measure the business performance.
KeywordsUser Interface Mobile Phone Business Performance BSC (Balanced Score Card)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balanced Scorecard, wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_scorecard
- 3.Experience curve effects, wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experience_curve_effects
- 4.Kaplan, R.S., Norton, D.P.: The Balanced Scorecard: Translating strategy into action. Harvard Business School Press (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Karat, C.M.: Usability Engineering in Dollars and Cents. IEEE Software (1989)Google Scholar
- 6.Kjeldskov, J., Graham, C.: A Review of Mobile HCI Research Methods. In: Mobile HCI 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Learning Curve Calculator, http://cost.jsc.nasa.gov/learn.html
- 8.Lindholm, C., Keinonen, T.: Mobile Usability: How Nokia Changed the Face of the Mobile Phone. McGraw Hill, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Marcus, A.: Return on Investment for Usable User-Interface Design: Examples and Statistics, AN+A (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Mauro, C.L.: Professional usability testing and return on investment as it applies to user interface design for web-based products and services, White paper ver 2.0, MauroNewMedia, Inc. (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Mayhew, D.J.: The Business Case for Usability Engineering, HFES Potomac Chapter (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Rust, R.T., Zahorik, A.J., Keiningham, T.L.: Return on Quality(ROQ): Making Service Quality Financially AccountableGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wright, T.P.: Learning Curve. Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences (1936)Google Scholar