Blind Navigation along a Sinuous Path by Means of the See ColOr Interface
The See ColOr interface transforms a small portion of a coloured video image into sound sources represented by spatialized musical instruments. This interface aims at providing visually impaired people with a capability of perception of the environment. In this work, the purpose is to verify the hypothesis that it is possible to use sounds from musical instruments to replace colour. Compared to state of the art devices, a quality of the See ColOr interface is that it allows the user to receive a feed-back auditory signal from the environment and its colours, promptly. An experiment based on a head mounted camera has been performed. Specifically, this experiment is related to outdoor navigation for which the purpose is to follow a sinuous path. Our participants successfully went along a red serpentine path for more than 80 meters.
KeywordsSound Source Musical Instrument Blind Person Blind Individual Instrument Sound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Algazi, V.R., Duda, R.O., Thompson, D.P.: The CIPIC HRTF database. In: IEEE Proc. Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics, Mohonk Mountain House (WASPAA 2001), New Paltz, NY (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Begault, R.: 3-D Sound for virtual reality and multimedia. A.P. Professional, Boston (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Bologna, G., Deville, B., Pun, T., Vinckenbosch, M.: Transforming 3D coloured pixels into musical instrument notes for vision substitution applications. In: Caplier, A., Pun, T., Tzovaras, D. (Guest eds.) Eurasip J. of Image and Video Processing, Article ID 76204, 14 pages (Open access article) (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Bologna, G., Deville, B., Vinckenbosch, M., Pun, T.: A perceptual interface for vision substitution in a color matching experiment. In: Proc. IEEE IJCNN, Int. Joint Conf. Neural Networks, Part of IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Hong Kong, June 1-6 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzalez-Mora, J.L., Rodriguez-Hernandez, A., Rodriguez-Ramos, L.F., Dfaz-Saco, L., Sosa, N.: Development of a new space perception system for blind people, based on the creation of a virtual acoustic space. In: Proc. IWANN, pp. 321–330 (1999)Google Scholar