The Two-Guard Polygon Walk Problem
Consider a simple polygon. A walk is conducted by two guards on the polygon boundary. They start at a boundary point and walk on the boundary. It is required that the two guards maintain their mutual visibility at all times and eventually meet together again. A polygon may or may not be walkable, depending on where the two guards start their walk or no matter where they start on the boundary. In this work, we characterize the class of walkable polygons by two guards by presenting a set of forbidden patterns.
KeywordsBoundary Point Computational Geometry Geometric Pattern Simple Polygon Analogous Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Lee, J.H., Shin, S.Y., Chwa, K.Y.: Visibility-based pursuit-evasions in a polygonal room with a door. In: Proc. ACM Symp. on Computational Geometry, pp. 281–290 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Park, S.M., Lee, J.H., Chwa, K.Y.: Characterization of rooms searchable by two guards. In: Proc. Int’l. Symp. on Algorithms and Computation, pp. 515–526 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Bhattacharya, B., Zhang, J.Z., Shi, Q.S., Kameda, T.: An optimal solution to room search problem. In: Proc. 18th Canadian Conf. on Computational Geometry, August 2006, pp. 55–58 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, J.Z., Kameda, T.: Where to build a door. In: Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int’l. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, October 2006, pp. 4084–4090 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Tan, X.: Searching a simple polygon by a k-searcher. In: Proc. of Int’l. Symp. on Algorithms and Computation 2000, pp. 503–514 (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Tan, X.: A Characterization of Polygonal Regions Searchable from the Boundary. In: Akiyama, J., Baskoro, E.T., Kano, M. (eds.) IJCCGGT 2003. LNCS, vol. 3330, pp. 200–215. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Park, S.M., Lee, J.H., Chwa, K.Y.: A characterization of the class of polygons searchable by a 1-searcher. Technical Report CS/TR-2000-160, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (December 2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Kameda, T., Zhang, J.Z., Yamashita, M.: Simple characterization of polygons searchable by 1-searcher. In: Proc. the 18th Canadian Conf. on Computational Geometry, August 2006, pp. 113–116 (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang, J.Z., Burnett, B.: Yet another simple characterization of searchable polygons by 1-searcher. In: Proc. IEEE Int’l. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, December 2006, pp. 1244–1249 (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.Bhattacharya, B., Zhang, J.Z., Kameda, T.: Exploring polygonal area by robot: Searching testing. In: Proc. Int’l. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (May 2009) (to appear)Google Scholar