Linear Kernel for Planar Connected Dominating Set
We provide polynomial time data reduction rules for Connected Dominating Set in planar graphs and analyze these to obtain a linear kernel for the planar Connected Dominating Set problem. To obtain the desired kernel we introduce a method that we call reduce or refine. Our kernelization algorithm analyzes the input graph and either finds an appropriate reduction rule that can be applied, or zooms in on a region of the graph which is more amenable to reduction. We find this method of independent interest and believe that it will be useful to obtain linear kernels for other problems on planar graphs.
KeywordsPlanar Graph Vertex Cover Linear Kernel Kernel Size Reduction Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Alon, N., Gutner, S.: Kernels for the dominating set problem on graphs with an excluded minor. Technical report, ECCC Report TR08-066 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Bodlaender, H.L., Penninkx, E., Tan, R.B.: A linear kernel for the k-disjoint cycle problem on planar graphs. LNCS, vol. 5369, pp. 306–317. Springer, Berlin (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Demaine, E.D., Hajiaghayi, M.: Bidimensionality: new connections between FPT algorithms and PTASs. In: Proceedings of the Sixteenth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 590–601. ACM, New York (2005) (electronic)Google Scholar
- 11.Guo, J.: Private communication (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Thomassé, S.: Bidimensionality: new connections between FPT algorithms and PTASs. In: Proceedings of the Twentieth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 115–119. ACM, New York (2009) (electronic)Google Scholar