Value-Based Multiple Software Projects Scheduling with Genetic Algorithm
Scheduling human resources to multiple projects under various resource requirements, constraints and value objectives is a key problem that many software organizations struggle with. This paper gives a value-based human resource scheduling method among multiple software projects by using a genetic algorithm. The method synthesizes the constraints such as those of schedule and cost as well as the value objectives among different projects, and also the construction of comprehensive value function for evaluating the results of human resource scheduling. Under the guidance of value function, capable human resources can be scheduled for project activities by using the genetic algorithm and make the near-maximum value for organizations. Case study and the simulation results show that the method can perform the scheduling and reflect the value objectives of different projects effectively, and the results provide a concrete decision support for project managers.
KeywordsValue human resource multi-project scheduling genetic algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Biffl, S., Aurum, A., Boehm, B., Erdogmus, H., Grünbacher, P.: Value-Based Software Engineering. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Nejmeh, B.A., Thomas, I.: Business-Driven Product Planning Using Feature Vectors and Increments. IEEE Software, 34–42 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Pinedo, M.: Scheduling: Theory, Algorithms, and System, 2nd edn. Pearson Education, Inc., London (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Duggan, J., Byrne, J., Lyons, G.J.: Task Allocation Optimizer for Software Construction. IEEE Software, 76–82 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Ruhe, G., Saliu, M.O.: The Art and Science of Software Release Planning. IEEE Software, 47–53 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Chang, C.K., Christensen, M.: A Net Practice for Software Project Management. IEEE Software (November/December 1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in natural and artificial systems. MIT Press, Cambridge (1992)Google Scholar
- 16.Xiao, J., Wang, Q., Li, M., Yang, Y., Zhang, F., Xie, L.: A Constraint-Driven Human Resource Scheduling Method in Software Development and Maintenance Process. In: Proceedings of 24th International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM 2008), pp. 17–26 (2008)Google Scholar