A Process for Driving Process Improvement in VSEs
A success factor in Software Process Improvement -SPI- in very small enterprises -VSEs- is that improvement effort must be guided and managed by means of specific process. Nonetheless, many proposals related to this issue have not considered that type of process explicitly. So, aiming to establish SPI in VSEs systematically and coherently, we have defined a light process for managing and leading the improvement process step-by-step, called PmCOMPETISOFT. This paper introduces that process, which guides the implantation of an improvement cycle in an iterative and incremental manner. It also describes our experience of the application of the proposed process in four VSEs, through case studies. The results of the case studies show that the companies increased the capability of their processes, and that it is feasible to implement this process in this type of organizations, by investing an effort which corresponds to the particular characteristics of each.
KeywordsSPI VSEs improvement process case studies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Oktaba, H.: MoProSoft®: A Software Process Model for Small Enterprises. In: Proceedings of the First International Research Workshop for Process Improvement in Small Settings, pp. 93–101. Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Cater-Steel, A.P., Toleman, M., Rout, T.: Process improvement for small firms: An evaluation of the RAPID assessment-based method. Inf. and Soft. Tech., pp. 1–12 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Scott, L., Jeffery, R., Carvalho, L., D’Ambra, J., Rutherford, P.: Practical Software Process Improvement -The IMPACT Project. In: Proceedings of the Australian Software Engineering Conference, pp. 182–189 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Kautz, K., Hansen, H.W., Thaysen, K.: Applying and adjusting a software process improvement model in practice: the use of the IDEAL model in a small software enterprise. In: ICSE 2000, Limerick, Ireland, pp. 626–633 (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.ISO, ISO/IEC 15504-4:2004 Information technology - Process assessment - Part 4: Guidance on use for process improvement and process capability determination (2004) Google Scholar
- 16.Pino, F., Garcia, F., Piattini, M.: Key processes to start software process improvement in small companies. In: SAC 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A, pp. 1694–1701 (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.CYTED, COMPETISOFT Methodological Framework (in Spanish) (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Hernández, M., Florez, A., Pino, F., Garcia, F., Piattini, M., Ibargüengoitia, G., Oktaba, H.: Supporting the Improvement Process for Small Software Enterprises through a software tool. In: SES during ENC 2008, Mexicali, México (2008) (in press)Google Scholar
- 19.Brereton, P., Kitchenham, B., Budgen, D., Li, Z.: Using a protocol template for case study planning. In: EASE 2008, Bari, Italia, pp. 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Yin, R.K.: Case Study Research: Design and Methods. Sage, Thousand Oaks (2003)Google Scholar