Software Product Quality: Ensuring a Common Goal
Software qualities are in many cases tacit and hard to measure. Thus, there is a potential risk that they get lower priority than deadlines, cost and functionality. Yet software qualities impact customers, profits and even developer efficiency. This paper presents a method to evaluate the priority of software qualities in an industrial context. The method is applied in a case study, where the ISO 9126 model for software quality is combined with Theory-W to create a process for evaluating the alignment between success-critical stakeholder groups in the area of software product quality. The results of an exploratory case study using this tool is then presented and discussed. It is shown that the method provides valuable information about software qualities.
KeywordsProject Management Stakeholder Group Quality Model System Property Software Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beck, K.: Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Garvin, D.A.: What does “product quality” really mean? Sloan Management Review 26(1), 25–43 (1984)Google Scholar
- 6.Hoyer, R.W., Hoyer, B.B.Y.: What is quality? Quality Progress 34(7), 53–62 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Milicic, D.: Software Quality Models and Philosophies. In: Software Quality Attributes and Trade-Offs, pp. 3–19. Blekinge Institute of Technology (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.ISO9126: Software engineering – product quality – part 1: Quality model. International Standards Organization (2001) Google Scholar
- 13.Herzwurm, G., Schockert, S., Pietsch, W.: Qfd for customer-focused requirements engineering. In: 11th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, 2003, pp. 330–338 (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Boehm, B., Jain, A.: An initial theory of value-based software engineering. Value-Based Software Engineering, 15–37 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Leffingwell, D., Widrig, D.: Managing software requirements: a unified approach. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Barney, S., Wohlin, C.: Software product quality questionnaire (2008), http://www.bth.se/tek/aps/sba