Validation and Verification of Agent-Based Models in the Social Sciences
- 1.1k Downloads
This paper considers some of the difficulties in establishing verificaction and validation of agent based models. The fact that most ABMs are solved by simulation rather than analytically blurs the distinction between validation and verification. We suggest that a clear description of the phenomena to be explained by the model and testing for the simplest possible realistic agent rules of behaviour are key to the successful validation of ABMs and will provide the strongest base for enabling model comparison and acceptance. In particular, the empirical evidence that in general agents act intuitively rather than rationally is now strong. This implies that models which assign high levels of cognition to their agents require particularly strong justification if they are to be considered valid.
KeywordsVerification validation agent-based models agents behaviour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.McNamara, L., Trucano, T., Backus, G.: Verification and Validation as Applied Epistemology. In: Proceedings of the UCLA Conference on Human Complex Systems (April 2007), http://hcs.ucla.edu/arrowhead.htm
- 8.Ormerod, P., Rosewell, B.: What can firms know?, plenary talk. In: Proc. NAACSOS conference, Pittsburgh (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ormerod, P., Rosewell, B.: On the Methodology of Assessing Agent Based Models in the Social Sciences. In: Metcalfe, J.S., Foster, J. (eds.) Evolution and Economic Complexity, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Pilch, M., Trucano, T., Moya, J., Groehlich, G., Hodges, A., Peercy, D.: Guidelines for Sandia ASCI Verification and Validation Plans – Content and Format: Version 2.0., Albuquerque, NM: Sandia National Laboratories, SAND 2000–3101 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Rand, W., Wilensky, U.: Verification and Validation through Replication: A Case Study Using Axelrod and Hammond’s Ethnocentrism Model. In: Proc. NAACSOS (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Rosewell, B., Horton, A.: Neighbours are not enough. In: European Conference on Complex Systems, Oxford (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Windrum, P., Fagiolo, G., Moneta, A.: Empirical Validation of Agent-Based Models: Alternatives and Prospects. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 10, 2 (2007)Google Scholar