Swelling Equilibrium of a Gel in Binary Mixed Solvents
We study the swelling equilibrium of the non-ionic poly(acrylamide) gel in the six binary mixed solvent systems. All the swelling curves of the gel obtained here are superposed onto a single master-swelling curve if the number of water molecule in a unit volume of the mixed solvent is chosen as a variable. The master-swelling curve of the gel is well described by the theoretical swelling curve of the gel.
KeywordsVolume phase transition Binary mixed liquids Poly(acrylamide) gel Swelling equilibrium
The authors thank Dr. Y. Maki and Professor T. Dobashi of Gunma University for their fruitful discussions on the thermodynamic data of poly(acrylamide). We dedicate this wok to the late Professor Toyoichi Tanaka of Massachusetts Institute of Technology on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the finding of the volume phase transition of the gel.
- 2.See for instance, Responsive Gels: Volume Transitions 1 and 2, Adv. Polym. Sci. 109 and 110 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Eisenberg D and Kauzmann W The structure and Properties of Water, (Oxford Univ., Oxford, 1969)Google Scholar
- 14.Flory PJ Principle of Polymer Chemistry, (Cornell University Press: Ithaca, NY, 1953)Google Scholar
- 15.Debye PJW Molecular Forces, (JOHN WILEY & SONS Inc., NY, 1967)Google Scholar
- 16.de Gennes PG Scaling Concept in Polymer Physics, (Cornell University Press: Ithaca, NY, 1979)Google Scholar
- 17.Tanaka T, Fillmore D, Sun S, Nishio I, Swislow G and Shah A (1980) Phys. Rev. Lett., 45:1936Google Scholar