Ranking Attack Graphs with Graph Neural Networks
Network security analysis based on attack graphs has been applied extensively in recent years. The ranking of nodes in an attack graph is an important step towards analyzing network security. This paper proposes an alternative attack graph ranking scheme based on a recent approach to machine learning in a structured graph domain, namely, Graph Neural Networks (GNNs). Evidence is presented in this paper that the GNN is suitable for the task of ranking attack graphs by learning a ranking function from examples and generalizes the function to unseen possibly noisy data, thus showing that the GNN provides an effective alternative ranking method for attack graphs.
KeywordsHide Layer Machine Learning Approach Ranking Scheme PageRank Algorithm Attack Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bhadeshia, University Of Cambridge. Neural Networks in Materials ScienceGoogle Scholar
- 2.Mizutani, E., Dreyfus, S.E.: On complexity analysis of supervised MLP-learning for algorithmic comparisons. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), vol. 1 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Scarselli, F., Tsoi, A.C., Gori, M., Hagenbuchner, M.: A new neural network model for graph processing. Technical Report DII 1/05, University of Siena (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Scarselli, F., Yong, S.L., Hagenbuchner, M., Tsoi, A.C.: Adaptive Page Ranking with Neural Networks. In: WWW (Special interest tracks and posters), pp. 936–937 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Frasconi, P., Gori, M., Sperduti, A.: A general framework for adaptive processing of data structures 9(5), 768–786 (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks, A Comprehensive Foundation. Macmillan College Publishing Company, Inc., 866 Third Avenue, New York, 10022 (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Sheyner, O., Haines, J., Jha, S., Lippmann, R., Wing, J.: Automated generation and analysis of attack graphs. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, Oakland, CA (May 2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Scarselli, F., Yong, S.L., Gori, M., Hagenbuchner, M., Tsoi, A.C., Maggini, M.: Graph neural networks for ranking web pages. In: Web Intelligence Conference, pp. 666–672 (2005)Google Scholar