On the Correctness of an Approach against Side-Channel Attacks
Side-channel attacks are a very powerful cryptanalytic technique. Li and Gu [ProvSec’07] proposed an approach against side-channel attacks, which states that a symmetric encryption scheme is IND-secure in side-channel model, if it is IND-secure in black-box model and there is no adversary who can recover the whole key of the scheme computationally in side-channel model, i.e. WKR-SCA ∧ IND → IND-SCA. Our researches show that it is not the case. We analyze notions of security against key recovery attacks and security against distinguishing attacks, and then construct a scheme which is WKR-SCA-secure and IND-secure, but not IND-SCA-secure in the same side-channel environment. Furthermore, even if the scheme is secure again partial key recovery attacks in side-channel model, this approach still does not hold true.
KeywordsProvable security Side-channel attack Symmetric encryption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bellare, M., Desai, A., Jokipii, E., Rogaway, P.: A concrete security treatment of symmetric encryption: Analysis of the DES modes of operation. In: Proceedings of the 38th Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), pp. 394–403. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Biham, E., Shamir, A.: Differential cryptanalysis of DES-like cryptosystems. In: Menezes, A., Vanstone, S.A. (eds.) CRYPTO 1990. LNCS, vol. 537, pp. 2–21. Springer, Heidelberg (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Kocher, P., Jaffe, J., Jun, B.: Introduction to differential power analysis and related attacks (1999), http://www.cryptography.com/dpa/technical/
- 8.Kocher, P.C.: Timing attacks on implementations of diffie-hellman, RSA, DSS, and other systems. In: Koblitz, N. (ed.) CRYPTO 1996. LNCS, vol. 1109, pp. 104–113. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Standaert, F.-X., Malkin, T.G., Yung, M.: A unified framework for the analysis of side-channel key recovery attacks. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2006/139 (2006), http://eprint.iacr.org/