Some New Observations on the SMS4 Block Cipher in the Chinese WAPI Standard
SMS4 is a 128-bit block cipher used in the WAPI standard in wireless networks in China. The cipher has attracted much attention in the past two years. This paper consists of two parts. The first part is on the design of the linear diffusion layer L of SMS4. Some new observations on L are present, which open out the design rationales of L and such class functions to a great extent. The second part is on the differential attack against SMS4. A class of 18-round differential characteristics with a higher probability is given. Then a simple differential attack on 22-round SMS4 is present, which is an improvement of the previous work, thus our attack becomes the best known one on SMS4. Furthermore, we make a remark on the construction of differential characteristics of SMS4.
KeywordsWAPI Block Cipher SMS4 Diffusion Transformation Differential Cryptanalysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Specification of SMS4, Block Cipher for WLAN Products – SMS4 (in Chinese), http://www.oscca.gov.cn/UpFile/200621016423197990.pdf
- 2.Daemen, J.: Cipher and Hash Function Design Strategies Based on Linear and Differential Cryptanalysis, Doctoral Dissertation, K.U.Leuven (March 1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Diffie, W., Ledin, G. (translators): SMS4 Encryption Algorithm for Wireless Networks Cryptology ePrint Archive, report 2008/329, received (July 29, 2008), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 5.Etrog, J., Robshaw, M.J.B.: The Cryptanalysis of Reduced-Round SMS4. In: Proceedings of SAC 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Kim, T., Kim, J., Hong, S., Sun, J.: Linear and Diffrential Cryptanalysis of Reduced SMS4 Block Cipher, Cryptology ePrint Archive, report 2008/281, http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 12.Wang, J.B.: The Optimal Permutation in Cryptography Based on Cyclic - Shift Linear Transform. In: ChinaCrypt 2007, pp. 306–307 (2007) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang, L., Wu, W.L.: Differential fault attack on SMS4. Chinese Journal of Computers 29(9) (2006) (in Chinese)Google Scholar