An Extended Authentication and Key Agreement Protocol of UMTS
Identification, authentication and key agreement protocol of UMTS networks have some weaknesses to provide DoS-attack resistance, mutual freshness, and efficient bandwidth consumption. In this article we consider UMTS AKA and some other proposed schemes. Then we explain the known weaknesses in the previous frameworks suggested for UMTS AKA protocol. After that we propose a new UMTS AKA protocol (called EAKAP) for UMTS mobile network that combines identification stage and AKA stage of UMTS AKA protocol as well as eliminating disadvantages of related works and bringing some new features to improve the UMTS AKA mechanism such as reducing the interactive rounds of the UMTS AKA protocol.
KeywordsIdentification Authentication and Key Agreement UMTS Mobile Network Security Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.3GPP TS 33.102 V8.0.0 (2008-06), 3GPP Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects, 3G Security, Security Architecture (Release 8)Google Scholar
- 2.3GPP TS 35.206 V7.0.0 (2007-06), Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects, 3G Security, Algorithm Specification (Release 7)Google Scholar
- 3.Stallings, W.: Cryptography and Network Security: Principles and Practice. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), Federal Information Processing Standards Publications (FIPS PUBS) 197 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Huang, C.M., Li, J.W.: Authentication and Key Agreement Protocol for UMTS with Low Bandwidth Consumption. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Juang, W.S., Wu, J.L.: Efficient 3GPP Authentication and Key Agreement with Robust User Privacy Protection. In: IEEE Communications Society. Proceedings of the WCNC (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Al-Saraireh, J., Yousef, S.: A New Authentication Protocol for UMTS Mobile Networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Article ID 98107, 1–10 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Meyer, U., Wetzel, S.: A Man-in-the-Middle Attack on UMTS. In: Proceedings of the 3rd ACM workshop on Wireless security, pp. 90–97 (2004) ISBN:1-58113-925-XGoogle Scholar
- 11.Harn, L., Hsin, W.J.: On the Security of Wireless Network Access with Enhancements. In: Proceedings of the 2nd ACM workshop on Wireless security, pp. 88–95 (2003) ISBN:1-58113-769-9Google Scholar
- 12.AL-Saraireh, J., Yousef, S.: Extension of Authentication and Key Agreement Protocol (AKA) for Universal Mobile Telecommunication System (UMTS). International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Computer Sciences 1(1), 109–118 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhang, M., Fang, Y.: Security Analysis and Enhancements of 3GPP: Authentication and Key Agreement Protocol. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 4(2) (March 2005)Google Scholar