A Two-Grid Approximation of an Interface Problem for the Nonlinear Poisson-Boltzmann Equation
- 1.3k Downloads
We present a robust and efficient numerical method for solution of an interface problem for a generalization of the Poisson-Boltzmann equation, arising in molecular biophysics. The differential problem is solved by FEM (finite element method) technique on two (coarse and fine) subspaces. The solution of the nonlinear system of algebraic equations on the fine mesh is reduced to the solution on two small (one linear and one nonlinear) systems on the coarse grid and a large linear one on the fine grid. It is shown, both theoretically and numerically, that the coarse space can be extremely coarse and still achieve asymptotically optimal approximation.
KeywordsConvergence Rate Coarse Grid Coarse Mesh Interface Problem Coarse Space
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Buike, M., Buikis, A.: Modelling of three-dimensional transport process in anisotropic layered stratum by consrevative averaging method. WSEAS Transactions of Heat and Mass Transfer 1(4), 430–437 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Cimrák, I.: Numerical solution of degenerate convection-diffusion problem using broyden scheme. In: Proceedings of ALGORITMY. Conf. on Sci. Comput., pp. 14–22 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Cook, B., Kazakova, T., Lyu, S., Madrid, P., Neal, J., Pauletti, M., Zhao, R.: Cell-Foreign Particle Interaction. IMA Preprint Series 2133(3) (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Givoli, D.: Finite Element Modeling of Thin Layers. CMES 5(6), 497–531 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Kufner, A., Fučic, S.: Nonlinear Differential Equations. Nauka, Moskow (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Ladyzhenskaya, A., Solnnikov, A., Uraltseva, N.: Linear and Quasi-Linear Equations of Parabolic Type. In: Translations of Mathematical Monographs, vol. 23, American Mathematical Society, Providence (1968)Google Scholar
- 8.Mu, M., Xu, J.: A two-grid method for a mixed Stokes-Darcy model for coupling fluid flow with porous media flow. Math. of Comp. 71(256), 1617–1626 (2008)Google Scholar