Performance Evaluation of an Adaptive Ant Colony Optimization Applied to Single Machine Scheduling
We propose a self-adaptive Ant Colony Optimization (AD-ACO) approach that exploits a parameter adaptation mechanism to reduce the requirement of a preliminary parameter tuning. The proposed AD-ACO is based on an ACO algorithm adopting a pheromone model with a new global pheromone update mechanism. We applied this algorithm to the single machine total weighted tardiness scheduling problem with sequence-dependent setup times and we executed an experimental campaign on a benchmark available in literature. Results, compared with the ones produced by the ACO algorithm without adaptation mechanism and with those obtained by recently proposed metaheuristic algorithms for the same problem, highlight the quality of the proposed approach.
KeywordsAnt Colony Optimization Metaheuristics Scheduling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dorigo, M.: Optimization, learning and natural algorithms (in Italian). PhD Thesis, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Sutton, R.S., Barto, A.G.: Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction. MIT Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Swarm Intelligence. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Cicirello, V.A.: Weighted tardiness scheduling with sequence-dependent setups: a benchmark library. Technical Report. Intelligent Coordination and Logistics Laboratory. Robotics Institute. Carnegie Mellon University, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Cicirello, V.A.: Non-Wrapping Order Crossover: An Order Preserving Crossover Operator that Respects Absolute Position. In: Proceedings of GECCO 2006 Conference, Seattle, WA, USA, pp. 1125–1131 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Lin, S.-W., Ying, K.-C.: Solving single-machine total weighted tardiness problems with sequence-dependent setup times by meta-heuristics. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Tasgetiren, M.F., Sevkli, M., Liang, Y.-C., Gencyilmaz, G.: Particle swarm optimization algorithm for single machine total weighted tardiness problem. In: Proceedings of the 2004 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2004), Portland, Oregon, pp. 1412–1419 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Anghinolfi, D., Paolucci, M.: A new discrete particle swarm optimization approach for the total tardiness scheduling problem. European Journal of Operational Research (2007)Google Scholar