Proposals for Increasing Benchmarking Data Quantity and Quality of Projects Measured in COSMIC
With the release of the COSMIC (Common Software Measurement International Consortium) measurement method version 3.0 in September 2007, the COSMIC Functional Size Measurement (FSM) method  has reached a stable and mature status. Almost 10 years after its inception, COSMIC has proven itself to be a valuable functional sizing method for a broad range of different software types and domains, including business applications, telecommunication software, real-time systems, and hybrids of these, with any kind of logical architectural structure. Even though many organizations worldwide have already adopted the method (now known briefly as COSMIC Function Points) in their operations, still a significant lack of external benchmarking data is perceived in the industry. For instance, organizations that are measuring in COSMIC have less projects to benchmark themselves to, within the well-known ISBGS (International Software Benchmarking Standard Group) benchmarking database  (currently at version 10), with respect to older generation measurement methods and measures, as IFPUG or NESMA Function Points.
In this paper the COSMIC Benchmarking Committee, led by the authors, will be introduced to the public and its goals and intents will be outlined. Topics covered in the paper are, among others, suggestions to improve the current ISBSG data collection questionnaire(s) for better usage, possibly higher data collection accuracy, and/or for compliance to the recently-issued topics of levels of decomposition and levels of granularity, and the possibilities to convert old generation measures (as IFPUG and COSMIC) to COSMIC measures for practical project benchmarking and estimation purposes.
KeywordsCOSMIC Functional Size Measurement Benchmarking ISBSG size conversion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC19761:2003, Software Engineering – COSMIC – A Functional Size Measurement Method, International Organization for Standardization - ISO, Geneva (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.International Software Benchmarking Standards Group, Estimating, Benchmarking & Research Suite Release 10, www.isbsg.org
- 3.Abran, A., Desharnais, J.M., Oligny, S., St-Pierre, D., Symons, C. (eds.): COSMIC FFP Measurement Manual (The COSMIC implementation guide for ISO/IEC 19761:2003), version 2.2 (January 2003), www.cosmicon.com
- 4.Lesterhuis, A., Symons, C.: Guideline for sizing business applications using COSMIC-FFP, Version 1.0, December, http://www.cosmicon.com
- 5.COSMIC Measurement Practices Committee, Documentation Overview & Glossary of terms, Part of the COSMIC Functional Sizing Method version 3.0 (September 2007), http://www.cosmicon.com
- 6.COSMIC Measurement Practices Committee, Method Overview, Part of the COSMIC Functional Sizing Method version 3.0 (September 2007), http://www.cosmicon.com
- 7.COSMIC Measurement Practices Committee, COSMIC Measurement Manual (The COSMIC implementation guide for ISO/IEC 19761:2003), Part of the COSMIC Functional Sizing Method version 3.0 (September 2007), http://www.cosmicon.com
- 8.COSMIC Measurement Practices Committee, Advanced & related topics, Part of the COSMIC Functional Sizing Method version 3.0 (December 2007), http://www.cosmicon.com
- 9.COSMIC Data Collection Questionnaire 5.1 (September 2007), http://www.isbsg.org
- 10.Ho, V.T., Abran, A., Fetcke, T.: A Comparative Study Case of COSMIC- FFP, Full Function Point and IFPUG Methods, Département d’informatique, Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Vogelezang, F.W., Lesterhuis, A.: Applicability of COSMIC Full Function Points in an administrative environment: Experiences of an early adopter. In: 13th International Workshop on Software Measurement – IWSM 2003. Shaker Verlag, Montréal (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Vogelezang, F.W.: Implementing COSMIC as a replacement for FPA. In: 14th International Workshop on Software Measurement – IWSM- Metrikon 2004, Konig-Winsterhausen, Germany (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Abran, A., Desharnais, J.-M., Azziz, F.: Measurement Convertibility: From Function Points to COSMIC. In: 15th International Workshop on Software Measurement – IWSM 2005, Montréal, Canada, September 12-14, 2005, pp. 227–240. Shaker Verlag (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Desharnais, J.-M., Abran, A., Cuandrado, J.: Convertibility of Function Points to COSMIC: Identification and analysis of functional outliers. In: International Conference on Software Process and Product Measurement (MENSURA), Madrid (2006)Google Scholar