ICT Vulnerabilities of the Power Grid: Towards a Road Map for Future Research
The transformation of the European infrastructure creates considerable system security challenges. GRID is a joint effort of six European research organizations to achieve consensus on the key issues involved by ICT related vulnerabilities of power systems in view of these challenges. GRID has recently issued a preliminary Road Map for future research in the area, grounded on a survey on the position of the European industrial and research communities. The survey assessed the challenges raised and the research needs in this perspective. This paper reviews the conception process for the Road Map and provides motivations for the way it is structured. It also overviews the three areas of investigation of the Road Map: understanding the impact of risk and adapting society and organisations, developing risk and vulnerability assessment and upgrading control architectures. The focus is on the needs and the challenges within each area and the main objectives of the Road Map.
KeywordsPower Systems Information & Communication Technologies Vulnerabilities R&D Roadmap
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Final Report on the August 14, 2003 Blackout in the United States and Canada: Causes and Recommendations, U.S.-Canada Power System Outage Task Force, April 5 (2004), http://www.nerc.com/~filez/blackout.html
- 2.Investigation Report into the Loss of Supply Incident affecting parts of South London at 18:20 on Thursday, 28 August 2003, Executive Summary. National Grid Transco. September 10 (2003), http://126.96.36.199/uk/library/documents/pdfs/London28082003.pdf
- 3.Final Report of the Investigation Committee on the 28 September 2003 Blackout in Italy, UCTE Ad-hoc Investigation Committee, April 27 (2004), http://www.ucte.org/pdf/News/20040427_UCTE_IC_Final_report.pdf
- 4.The future of ICT for power systems: emerging security challenges. In: Report of the Consultation Workshop held in Brussels on February 3-4 (2005), https://rami.jrc.it/workshop_05/Report-ICT-for-Power-Systems.pdf
- 5.Stefanini, R.M., Gardner, N.H., Rognon, J.P.: A Survey on ICT Vulnerabilities of Power Systems, European CIIP Newsletter, www.IRRIIS.eu, European Commission IRRIIS Project, contract no 027568, WEB-Publication, 3(1), 6 - 8 (January / February 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Gardner, R.M.: The GRID Consortium, A Survey of ICT Vulnerabilities of Power Systems and Relevant Defense Methodologies. In: IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting 2007, June 24-28 (2007) (accepted)Google Scholar