Improving the Scalability of an IMS-Compliant Conferencing Framework Part II: Involving Mixing and Floor Control
At IPTComm2007 we presented a paper in which we analyzed the performance of a distributed conferencing framework we have recently designed and implemented. The paper focused on the scalability of the overall framework and demonstrated that the switch from a centralized to a distributed approach can significantly improve the achievable performance. Though, in the cited work, we mainly addressed the signalling aspects of the framework. We did not make any attempt at assessing the performance of our architecture (neither in the centralized, nor in the distributed case) in the presence of mixed media streams. This left us, and perhaps the readers, with a fine sensation of unfinished and motivated us to keep on working on the measurements, this time focusing on the two main aspects that come into play when a real conference is activated in a moderated environment like the one we propose: (i) mixing of the real-time streams generated by the users; (ii) floor control.
KeywordsDistributed conferencing scalability protocol dispatching moderation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amirante, A., Castaldi, T., Miniero, L., Romano, S.P.: Improving the scalability of an IMS-compliant conferencing framework through presence and event notification. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Principles, Systems and Applications of IP Telecommunications (IPTComm), New York City (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Camarillo, G., Ott, J., Drage, K.: The Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP). RFC4582 (November 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Barnes, M., Boulton, C., Levin, O.: A Framework for Centralized Conferencing. draft-ietf-xcon-framework-10.txt (November 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Rosenberg, J., Schulzrinne, H., Camarillo, G.: et al. SIP: Session Initiation Protocol. RFC3261 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Romano, S.P., Amirante, A., Castaldi, T., Miniero, L., Buono, A.: A Framework for Distributed Conferencing. draft-romano-dcon-framework-02.txt (January 2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Saint-Andre, P.: Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Core. RFC3920 (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Buono, A., Loreto, S., Miniero, L., Romano, S.P.: A Distributed IMS Enabled Conferencing Architecture on Top of a Standard Centralized Conferencing Framework. IEEE Communications Magazine 45(3) (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Camarillo, G.: Session Description Protocol (SDP) Format for Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP) Streams. RFC4583 (November 2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Romano, S.P., Amirante, A., Castaldi, T., Miniero, L., Buono, A.: Requirements for Distributed Conferencing. draft-romano-dcon-requirements-02.txt (January 2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Romano, S.P., Amirante, A., Castaldi, T., Miniero, L., Buono, A.: Requirements for the XCON-DCON Synchronization Protocol. draft-romano-dcon-xdsp-reqs-02.txt (January 2008)Google Scholar