Applying Symmetric Enumeration Method to One-Dimensional Assembly of Rotatable Tiles
Motivated by the increasing importance of the analysis of a complicated reaction system where molecules are interacting in various ways to produce a huge number of compounds of molecules, the author’s previous work proposed a new approach, called Symmetric Enumeration Method (SEM), to the efficient analysis of such reaction systems. The proposed theory provided a general method for the efficient computation of equilibrium states. In this paper, we will review the results of the theory of SEM, and apply it to the equilibria analysis of a one-dimensional assembly system of tiles which can be rotated around three axes, i.e., the x-, y-, and z-axes. Although the growth of a tile assembly is restricted to only one-dimensional direction, the exhaustive method of generating all tile assemblies and obtaining equilibria is intractable since the number of assemblies could be exponential with respect to the number of tiles given to the system. We will show that this equilibria analysis can be transformed into a convex programming problem with a set of variables of size polynomial with respect to the number of input tiles.
KeywordsAssembly System Enumeration Scheme Free Energy Function Graph Component Convex Programming Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Adleman L, Cheng Q, Goel A, Huang M, Wasserman H (2000) Linear self-assemblies: equilibria, entropy, and convergence rates. Unpublished manuscript Google Scholar
- 4.Condon AE (2003) Problems on rna secondary structure prediction and design. In: Proceedings of ICALP’2003. Lecture notes in computer science, vol 2719. Springer, Berlin, pp 22–32 Google Scholar
- 7.Gallo G, Scutella MG (1999) Directed hypergraphs as a modelling paradigm. Technical report TR-99-02, Dipartmento di Informatica, Universita di Pisa Google Scholar
- 8.Kobayashi S (2006) A new approach to computing equilibrium state of combinatorial chemical reaction systems. Technical report CS 06-01, Department of Computer Science, University of Electro-Communications Google Scholar
- 9.Kobayashi S (2007) A new approach to computing equilibrium state of combinatorial hybridization reaction systems. In: Proceedings of workshop on computing and communications from biological systems: theory and applications. CD-ROM, paper 2376 Google Scholar
- 10.Kobayashi S (2008) Symmetric enumeration method: a new approach to computing equilibria. Technical report CS 08-01, Department of Computer Science, University of Electro-Communications Google Scholar
- 12.Nesterov Y, Nemirovskii A (1993) Interior-point polynomial algorithms in convex programming. SIAM, Philadelphia Google Scholar