Performance Evaluation of Heartbeat-Style Failure Detector over Proactive and Reactive Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Network
Ad hoc wireless networks are characterized with multi-hop connectivity and frequently changing network topology. Routing protocol plays a very important role to ensure each packet reaches its destination node in Ad hoc wireless network. Many different routing protocols have been proposed in literature, but no performance comparison of heartbeat-style failure detection service over them is available. In this paper, we do the comprehensive simulations to investigate the performance of heartbeat-style failure detector over proactive and reactive routing protocols with ns-2 simulator. The performance different are analyzed using varying the number of nodes, mobility speed, transmission range. Results show that DSDV performed better in average delay and average failure detection time, AODV performed better in normalized routing overhead, delivery ratio, energy consumption ratio, false detection ratio. The observations can be used to motivate and improve future implementations of failure detection service in Ad hoc wireless networks.
KeywordsAd Hoc Network Failure Detection Heartbeat Performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Braden, R. (ed.): Requirements for Internet Hosts-Communication Layers, RFC 1122 (October 1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Pfister, G.F.: Search of Clusters, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.National Science Foundation. Research priorities in wireless and mobile communications and networking: Report of a workshop held March 24–26, Airlie House, Virginia (1997), http://www.cise.nsf.gov/anir/ww.html
- 10.Défago, X., Urbán, P., Hayashibara, N., Katayama, T.: On accrual failure detectors. RR IS-RR-2004-11, JAIST,Ishikawa, Japan (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Dyer, T.D., Boppana, R.V.: A comparison of TCP performance over three routing protocols for mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of ACM Mobihoc, pp. 56–66 (October 2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Das, S.R., Perkins, C.E., Royer, E.M.: Performance comparison of two on-demand routing protocols for ad hoc networks. In: IEEE Infocom 2000 (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Johansson, P., et al.: Scenario-based performance analysis of routing protocols for mobile ad-hoc networks. In: ACM Mobicom 1999 (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Perkins, C.E., Bhagwat, P.: Highly dynamic destination-sequenced distance vector (DSDV) for mobile computers. In: ACM SIGCOMM 1994, pp. 234–244 (August 1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Perkins, C., Royer, E.: Ad hoc on-demand distance vector routing. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEEWorkshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, pp. 90–100 (February 1999)Google Scholar
- 16.CMU Monarch Group, CMU Monarch extensions to the NS-2 simulator (1998), http://monarch.cs.cmu.edu/cmu-ns.html