QoS-Aware Customer Network Management (Q-CNM) System for Efficient Handovers with PMIPv6 and MIH
Many researches for PMIPv6 have been focused on reducing handover latency and packet loss ratio in mobile network. The handover with QoS-aware differentiated service provisioning with load balancing, however, has not been studied in depth. In this paper, we propose a QoS-aware Customer Network Management (Q-CNM) system for QoS-aware handover with Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) and IEEE 802.21 Media Independent Handover (MIH). The Q-CNM supports the PMIPv6-based handover with QoS-aware load balancing for QoS-guaranteed network based handover in proxy mobile IP domain. Especially, the Q-CNM provides the MIH Information Service (MIIS) that collects network resource information for QoS-aware load balancing, QoS-guaranteed differentiated service provisioning, and centralized resource management in the proxy mobile IP domain. The proposed Q-CNM, PMIPv6 and MIH modules have been implemented on OPNET network simulator, and we analyze the QoS-aware handover performance based on the simulation results.
KeywordsPMIPv6 MIH QoS Q-CNM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gundavelli, S., Leung, K., Devarapalli, V., Chowdhury, K., Patil, B.: Proxy Mobile Ipv6, draft-ietf-netlmm-proxymip6-17.txt (May 27, 2008)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE P802.21/D10.0 Draft standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks: Media Independent Handover Services (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, J.-H., Kirn, Y.-D., Chung, T.-M.: An Investigation of Distance-Based Proxy Mobile Client Selection Schemes for NetLMM. In: AINAW 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.IEEE Std 802.11e, Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical layer (PHY) specifications: Amendment 8: Medium Access Control (MAC) Quality of Service Enhancements (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Jung, Y.-C., Kim, B.-K., Kim, Y.-T.: Home/Office Intranet Resource Management for QoS-guaranteed Realtime Stream Service Provisioning on IEEE 802.11e WLAN. In: Proceedings of NOMS 2008, Salvador, Brazil, 09 April 2008, pp. 959–962 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, Y.-T., Jung, Y.-C., Kim, S.-W.: QoS-Guaranteed Realtime Multimedia Service Provisioning on Broadband Convergence Network (BcN) with IEEE 802.11eWireless LAN and Fast/Gigabit Ethernet. JCN 9(4) (December 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, B.K., Jung, Y.C., Kim, I., Kim, Y.T.: Enhanced FMIPv4 Horizontal Handover with Minimized Channel Scanning Time based on Media Independent Handover (MIH). In: BcN 2008 (April 2008)Google Scholar