Facets of Adaptivity
Adaptivity is one of the key requirements of today’s information systems. It is used in various areas which may range from control and operating systems to networks, from robotics to intelligent systems, from multimedia to information retrieval and Web Services. Essentially, it is related to changes performed in the systems at run-time. These changes may regard various aspects: architectural, structural, behavioral or content. Considering the diversity of its application areas and of ways of achievement, this paper aims to discuss the facets of adaptivity by raising the following questions: Why is it needed? Which are its objectives? Which are its main open research issues?
Keywordsdefinition of adaptivity facets of adaptivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Astrom, K.J., Wittenmark, B.: Adaptive Control. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Bastide, G., Seriai, A., Oussalah, M.: Software Component Re-engineering for their Runtime Structural Adaptation. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference, pp. 109–114. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Garlan, D., Cheng, S.W., Huang, A.-C., Schmerl, B., Steenkiste, P.: Rainbow: Architecture-based Self-Adaptation with Reusable Infrastructure. IEEE Computer 37(10), 46–54 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Gorton, I., Liu, Y., Trivedi, N.: An extensible and lightweight architecture for adaptive server applications. Software – Practice and Experience Journal (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.McHugh, J.: Adaptive Networks Vision. ProCurve Networking, HP Innovation (2007), http://www.hp.com/md/pdfs/Adaptive_Networks_Vision_White_Paper.pdf
- 9.Seceleanu, T., Garlan., D.: Synchronized Architectures for Adaptive Systems. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference, Edinburgh, UK, pp. 146–151 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Zadeh, L.A.: On the Definition of Adaptivity. Proceedings of the IEEE, 469–470 (1963)Google Scholar