Representing Service-Oriented Architectural Models Using π-ADL
Despite the well-known advantages of applying the MDA proposal to SOA developments, there are still some gaps that need to be filled. At PIM-level, for example, there is no possibility of having an executable version of the system as it solely comprises technologically independent models. In order to solve this we propose to formalize the architectural model at this level with π-ADL, an ADL supporting the description of dynamic and evolvable architectures like SOA itself is. Since π-ADL allows the definition of executable versions of the architecture, the specification written embodies a prototype of the system at the PIM-level. We illustrate this by describing a real case study based on the SMPP standard for sending SMS messages.
KeywordsService-Oriented Architecture Model-Driven Architecture PIM-level modelling π-ADL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cáceres, P., Marcos, E., Vela, B.: A MDA-Based Approach for Web Information System Development. In: Workshop in Software Model Engineering (retrieved March 2007), http://www.metamodel.com/wisme-2003/
- 4.López-Sanz, M., Acuña, C.J., Cuesta, C.E., Marcos, E.: Modelling of Service-Oriented Architectures with UML. In: Proc. of FOCLASA 2007, pp. 21–36 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Milner, R.: The Polyadic π-Calculus: A Tutorial. Logic and Algebra of Specification. Springer, Heidelberg (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.OMG. Model Driven Architecture. Miller, J., Mukerji, J. (eds.), Document No. ormsc/2001-07-01 (retrieved May 2006), http://www.omg.com/mda
- 9.Oquendo, F.: π-ADL: An Architecture Description Language based on the Higher Order Typed π-Calculus for Specifying Dynamic and Mobile Software Architectures. ACM Software Engineering Notes 3 (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Papazoglou, M.P.: Service-Oriented Computing: Concepts, Characteristics and Directions. In: Proc. of WISE 2003, Roma, Italy, December 10-12, pp. 3–12 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.SMPP Forum. SMPP v5.0 Specification (retrieved September 2007), http://www.smsforum.net/