Modeling Strategic Alignment Using INSTAL
Strategic alignment has emerged as a usual term over the last decades and is now widely used. Yet the definitions available are often vague and lack of formalism to support a systematic reasoning. One difficulty is to deal with high level organization objectives, which are complex by nature, rather informal and cross-cutting. This article presents parts of an Information System (IS) engineering method, called INSTAL, that guides the process of eliciting IS evolution requirements by analysing strategic alignment models. This paper focuses on the upper part of this process that consists in constructing these models. The INSTAL approach is original since it relies on a meta-model that defines alignment formally and it guides the construction of strategic alignment models with complementary techniques. The paper presents these features and their application onto a real case drawn of a French banking company.
Keywordsalignment model information systems strategic alignment strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sabherwal, R., Hirschheim, R., Goles, T.: The Dynamics of Alignment: Insights from a Punctuated Equilibrium Model, Organization Science, vol. 12(2) (March-April 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Chan, Y.: Why haven’t we mastered alignment? The Importance of the Informal Organization Structure. MIS Quarterly Executive 1(2), 97–112 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Etien, A., Salinesi, C.: Managing Requirements in a Co-evolution Context. In: International Conference on Requirement Engineering (RE), Paris, France, pp. 125–134 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Etien, A.: Business Process / Information System Co-evolution. ISI journal, Hermés (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Bleistein, S., Cox, K., Verner, J., Phalp, K.: B-SCP: a requirements analysis framework for validating Strategic Alignment. Information and Software Technology 48(9) (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Salinesi, C.: Enterprise Architecture: from Practice Issues to Research Innovation, Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS), Ouarzazate, Morrocco, April 2007, pp. 107–120 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Thevenet, L.H., Rolland, C., Salinesi, C.: Alignement de la stratégie et de l’organisation: Présentation de la méthode INSTAL. Revue Ingénierie des Systèmes d’Information Special Issue on Information System Evolution, Hermès (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Osterwalder, A.: The Business Model Ontology a proposition in a design science approach, Ph.D thesis, HEC de l’Université de Lausanne (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Viscusi, G., Thevenet, L.H., Salinesi, C.: Strategic alignment in the Context of e-Services an Empirical Investigation of INSTAL with the Italian e-Governement Initiative Case Study. In: Bellahsène, Z., Léonard, M. (eds.) CAiSE 2008. LNCS, vol. 5074, Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar