Testing the CAX on a Real-World Problem and Other Benchmarks
Intrigued by the interesting Context Aware Crossover (CAX) operator proposed by Majeed and Ryan in a number of recent papers, this operator was tried on a real problem (solid catalysts optimisation) where unfortunately, no improvement was detected. An implementation of the benchmarks used in [MR06b] seems to show that the CAX is mostly an exploitation operator, boosting the average fitness of the population.
KeywordsPareto Front Crossover Operator Good Individual Initial Reaction Rate Symbolic Regression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Koz92]Koza, J.R.: Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by means of Natural Evolution. MIT Press, Massachusetts (1992)Google Scholar
- [MR06b]Majeed, H., Ryan, C.: Using context-aware crossover to improve the performance of GP. In: Keijzer, M., et al. (eds.) GECCO 2006: Proceedings of the 8th annual conference on Genetic and evolutionary computation, Seattle, Washington, USA, July 8-12, 2006, vol. 1, pp. 847–854. ACM Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- [MR07a]Majeed, H., Ryan, C.: Context-aware mutation: a modular, context aware mutation operator for genetic programming. In: Thierens, D., et al. (eds.) GECCO 2007: Proceedings of the 9th annual conference on Genetic and evolutionary computation, London, July 7-11, 2007, vol. 2, pp. 1651–1658. ACM Press, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- [MR07b]Majeed, H., Ryan, C.: On the constructiveness of context-aware crossover. In: Thierens, D., et al. (eds.) GECCO 2007: Proceedings of the 9th annual conference on Genetic and evolutionary computation, London, July 7-11, 2007, vol. 2, pp. 1659–1666. ACM Press, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- [SBMC08]Serna, P., Baumes, L.A., Moliner, M., Corma, A.: Combining high-throughput experimentation, advanced data modelling and fundamental knowledge to develop catalysts for the epoxidation of large olefins and fatty esters. Journal of Catalysis (in press, 2008)Google Scholar