End-to-End Proportional Loss Differentiation in OBS Networks
Proportional loss differentiation in OBS networks has recently received much attention since it allows to provide a quantitative differentiation between classes, so facilitating network operations and pricing to providers, but without the complexity involved by the absolute loss differentiation.
Although edge-to-edge differentiation must be the ultimate aim, most of the methods in the literature are per-hop-based, and it is well-known that guaranteeing per-hop proportional loss does not guarantee end-to-end proportional loss.
In this paper we modestly try to fill the gap which exists in this field, and so, we propose and analyze a new method to obtain edge-to-edge proportional loss differentiation for WDM-based OBS networks. This method is based on the idea of trunk and wavelength reservation, already used in circuit switched networks and deflection routing in OBS networks.
Through extensive simulation experiments and analysis, we compare the performance of our mechanism to another mechanism proposed in the literature, based on using additional offset.
KeywordsBurst Size Optical Burst Switching Core Node Data Burst Burst Head Packet
- 1.Qiao, C., Yoo, M.: Optical burst switching (OBS)-a new paradigm for an optical internet. Journal of High Speed Networks 8(1), 69–84 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, Y., Hamdi, M., Tsang, D.H.K.: Proportional QoS over OBS networks. In: Proc. of GLOBECOM, November 2001, vol. 3, pp. 1510–1514. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhou, B., Bassiouni, M.A.: Supporting differentiated quality of service in optical burst switched networks. Optical Engineering 45(1) (January 2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Gurusamy, M., Tan, C., Lui, J.: Achieving proportional loss differentiation using probabilistic preemptive burst segmentation in optical burst switching WDM networks. In: Proc. of GLOBECOM, November-December 2004, vol. 3, pp. 1754–1758. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Yang, M., Zheng, S.Q., Verchere, D.: A QoS supporting scheduling algorithm for optical burst switching DWDM networks. In: Proc. of GLOBECOM, November 2001, vol. 1, pp. 86–91. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Krupp, R.S.: Stabilization of alternate routing networks. In: Proc. of ICC, June 1982, pp. 1–31. IEEE, Los Alamitos (1982)Google Scholar
- 14.Zalesky, A., Vu, H., Rosberg, Z., Wong, E., Zukerman, M.: Modelling and performance evaluation of optical burst switched networks with deflection routing and wavelength reservation. In: Proc. of INFOCOM, March 2004, IEEE, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Xiong, Y., Vandenhoute, M., Cankaya, H.C.: Design and analysis of optical burst-switched networks. In: Senior, J.M., Qiao, C., Dixit, S. (eds.) Proc. of SPIE, SPIE, vol. 3843, pp. 112–119 (1999)Google Scholar
- 17.Argibay-Losada, P., Suárez-González, A., Veiga, M.F., Rodríguez-Rubio, R., López-García, C.: Evaluation of optical burst switching as a multiservice environment. In: Akyildiz, I.F., Sivakumar, R., Ekici, E., de Oliveira, J.C., McNair, J. (eds.) NETWORKING 2007. LNCS, vol. 4479, pp. 970–980. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar