A Graph-Theoretic Method for Mining Overlapping Functional Modules in Protein Interaction Networks
Identification of functional modules in large protein interaction networks is crucial to understand principles of cellular organization, processes and functions. As a protein can perform different functions, functional modules overlap with each other. In this paper, we presented a new algorithm OMFinder for mining overlapping functional modules in protein interaction networks by using graph split and reduction. We applied algorithm OMFinder to the core protein interaction network of budding yeast collected from DIP database. The experimental results showed that algorithm OMFinder detected many significant overlapping functional modules with various topologies. The significances of identified modules were evaluated by using functional categories from MIPS database. Most importantly, our algorithm had very low discard rate compared to other approaches of detecting overlapping modules.
Keywordsprotein interaction network functional module graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asur, S., Ucar, D., Parthasarathy, S.: An ensemble framework for clustering protein-protein interaction networks. ISMB/ECCB 23, 29–40 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.King, A.D., Prz̆ulj, N., Jurisica, I.: Protein complex prediction via cost-based clustering. Bioinformatics 20, 3013–3020 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Hartuv, E., Shamir, R.: A clustering algorithm based graph connectivity. Information Processing Letters, 175–181 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Cho, Y.R., Hwang, W., Ramanathan, M., Zhang, A.: Semantic integration to identify overlapping functional modules in protein interaction networks. BMC Bioinformatics, 8–265 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Spirin, V., Mirny, L.A.: Protein complexes and functional modules in molecular networks. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 12123–12128 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Bader, G.D., Hogue, C.W.: An automated method for finding molecular complexes in large protein interaction networks. BMC Bioinformatics 4(1) (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Altaf-Ul-Amin, M., et al.: Development and implementation of an algorithm for detection of protein complexes in large interaction networks. BMC Bioinformatics, 7(207) (2006)Google Scholar
- 22.Prz̆ulj, N., Wigle, D.A., Jurisica,I.: Functional topology in a network of protein interactions. Bioinformatics 20(3), 340–348 (2004)Google Scholar
- 27.Hwang, W., Cho, Y.R., Zhang, A., Ramanathan, M.: A novel functional module detection algorithm for protein- protein interaction networks. Algorithms for Molecular Biology 12, 1–24 (2006)Google Scholar
- 28.Cho, Y.R., Hwang, W., Zhang, A.: Identification of overlapping functional modules in protein interaction networks: information flow-based approach. In: Perner, P. (ed.) ICDM 2006. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 4065, Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar