“Multiple Neighbourhood” Search in Commercial VRP Packages: Evolving Towards Self-Adaptive Methods
All commercial packages for vehicle routing that the authors are aware of use a (meta)heuristic search procedure with several different neighbourhood structures. This paper attempts to answer the question why this is the case. As we will show, “multiple neighbourhood” search (MNS) is able to overcome the myopic behaviour of using only a single neigbourhood and is therefore more powerful. Also, MNS can be considered to be a very adaptable metaheuristic, which makes it especially suitable for the practical problems encountered in real life. We also point out that there is a need for the MNS applications used in commercial packages to evolve towards more self-adaptive systems.
Keywords“Multiple neighbourhood” search VRP vehicle routing commercial software
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cowling, P., Kendall, G., Soubeiga, E.: A hyperheuristic approach to scheduling a sales summit. In: Burke, E., Erben, W. (eds.) Selected Papers of the Third International Conference on the Practice And Theory of Automated Timetabling PATAT 2000. LNCS, pp. 176–190. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Cowling, P., Kendall, G., Soubeiga, E.: A parameter-free hyperheuristic for scheduling a sales summit. In: MIC 2001 – Proceedings of the Metaheuristics International Conference, Porto, pp. 127–131 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.CPLEX Optimization, Inc., Suite 279, 930 Tahoe Blvd., Bldg, 802, Incline Village, NV 89451-9436. Using the CPLEX Callable Library (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Crispim, J., Brandao, J.: Reactive tabu search and variable neighborhood descent applied to the vehicle routing problem with backhauls. In: MIC 2001 – Proceedings of the Metaheuristics International Conference, Porto, pp. 631–636 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Hall, R.: The 2006 vehicle routing survey. ORMS Today 33(3) (June 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Hansen, P., Mladenović, N.: An introduction to variable neighborhood search. In: Voss, S., Martello, S., Osman, I., Roucairol, C. (eds.) Metaheuristics: Advances and Trends in Local Search Paradigms for Optimization, pp. 433–458. Kluwer, Boston (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Hansen, P., Mladenović, N.: Industrial applications of the variable neighbourhood search metaheuristic. In: Decisions and Control in Management Science, pp. 261–274. Kluwer, Boston (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Mladenović, N.: A variable neighborhood algorithm – a new metaheuristic for combinatorial optimization. In: Optimization Days, p. 112 (1995)Google Scholar