Flow Around a Surface-Mounted Finite Cylinder: A Challenging Case for LES
Results of large eddy simulation of a flow around a cylinder with a finite aspect ratio (length/diameter) of 6 placed on a ground plane, is presented. The Reynolds number based on the inlet velocity and the cylinder diameter is 2×104. The boundary layer thickness at the position of the cylinder is approximately 7 % of the cylinder’s diameter. In addition to the comparison of the time-averaged results with existing experimental data, the instantaneous flow was investigated. The fine mesh LES predicted the vortex shedding frequency in agreement with the experimental observations. Several important flow mechanisms are predicted and explained such as: the downwash of coherent structures from the region above the free end into the near wake or the formation of the alternate vortices in the far wake. Instantaneous flow structures around the cylinder such as horseshoe vortex, Kelvin Helmholtz and hairpin vortices are identified and their influence on the cylinder and the resulting aerodynamic forces is explained.
KeywordsShear Layer Large Eddy Simulation Coherent Structure Lift Force Horseshoe Vortex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Afgan, I., Moulinec, C., Laurence, D.: Large eddy simulation of flow over a vertically mounted finite cylinder on a flat plate. In: Conference on Modelling Fluid Flow (CMFF 2006). The 13th International Conference on Fluid Flow Technologies, Budapest, Hungary (2006)Google Scholar
- Farivar, D.: Turbulent uniform flow around cylinders of finite length. AIAA Journal 19(3), 275–281 (1981)Google Scholar
- Okamoto, S., Sunabashiri, Y.: Vortex Shedding From a Circular Cylinder of Finite Length Placed on a Ground Plane. ASME: Journal of Fluids Engineering 114, 512–521 (1992)Google Scholar
- Strelets, M.: Private communication. New Technologies & Services, St. Petersburg, Russia (2005)Google Scholar
- Zdravkovich, M.M.: Flow around circular cylinders. Fundamentals, vol. 1. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1997)Google Scholar