Detached Eddy Simulation of Separated Flow on a High-Lift Device and Noise Propagation
In the framework of the German research project FREQUENZ, a joint effort of industry, research establishment and universities has been undertaken to study the effect of design variations on aeroacoustics of a simplified high lift configuration. The flow past an airfoil with small trailing edge devices (MiniTED) was investigated numerically for the case of a generic landing configuration. Because of the turbulent and separated flow character behind the high lift device a hybrid RANS-LES approach was chosen to investigate the flow phenomena. Furthermore, the noise in the turbulent flow field was investigated by evaluating the pressure distribution. As a large measurement campaign has been undertaken within FREQUENZ, it is possible to validate the aerodynamic and the aeroacoustic results.
KeywordsParticle Image Velocimetry Wind Tunnel Large Eddy Simulation Lift Coefficient Particle Image Velocimetry Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Drela, M.: Two-Dimensional Transonic Aerodynamic Design and Analysis Using the Euler Equations, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Gas Turbine Laboratory Report No. 187 (1986)Google Scholar
- Kroll, N., Eisfeld, B., Bleecke, H.M.: FLOWer. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, pp. 58–68. Vieweg Verlag, Braunschweig (1999)Google Scholar
- Raddatz, J., Fassbender, J.K.: Block Structured Navier-Stokes Solver FLOWer. In: MEGAFLOW - Numerical Flow Simulation for Aircraft Design. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design (NNFM), pp. 27–44 (2005), ISBN 3-540-24383-6Google Scholar
- Shur, M., et al.: Detached-Eddy Simulation of an Airfoil at High Angle of Attack. In: 4th Int. Symp. Eng. Turb. Modelling and Measurements, Corsica (1999)Google Scholar
- Spalart, P.R., Allmaras, S.R.: A one-equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows, La Recherche Aerospatiale, pp. 5–21 (1994)Google Scholar
- Wilcox, D.: Turbulence Modelling for CFD, DCW Industries (1998)Google Scholar