DES Analysis of Confined Turbulent Swirling Flows in the Sub-critical Regime
DES are applied to confined turbulent swirling flows exhibiting vortex breakdown. The DES results are compared with measurements obtained on a water test rig operating at a Reynolds number of 4600, and with further predictions obtained via different modelling strategies such as the Reynolds Stress Model (RSM) based URANS and LES. In the LES, the standard Smagorinsky model, and its modification by Voke are used as the subgrid scale models. DES and LES results are observed to be in better agreement with the experiments, compared to the URANS-RSM predictions. The overall performance of DES is observed to be similar to that of LES computations, though, a slight superiority of DES compared to LES can still be claimed, for the considered test case.
KeywordsLarge Eddy Simulation Vortex Breakdown Reynolds Stress Model Swirl Generator Large Eddy Simulation Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ANSYS-CFX-10 Solver Manual: ANSYS Europe, Oxfordshire, UK (2006)Google Scholar
- Benim, A.C., Nahavandi, A.: A computational analysis of turbulent swirling flows. In: Hanjalic, K., Nagano, Y., Tummers, M.J. (eds.) Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer 4, Begell House, New York, pp. 715–722 (2003)Google Scholar
- Benim, A.C., et al.: URANS, LES and DES Analysis of Turbulent Swirling Flows in Gas Turbine Combustors. WSEAS Transactions on Fluid Mechanics 1, 465–472 (2006)Google Scholar
- Escudier, M., Keller, J.J.: Vortex breakdown: A two-stage transition, Aerodynamics of vertical type flows in three dimensions, AGARD CP No. 342 (1983)Google Scholar
- Hunt, J.C.R., Wray, A.A., Moin, P.: Eddies, stream and convergence zones in turbulent flows, Report CTR-S88, Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford U (1988)Google Scholar
- Menter, F.R.: Two equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications. AIAA Journal 32, 1598–1695 (1994)Google Scholar
- Strelets, M.: Detached eddy simulation of massively separated flows. AIAA 2001-0879 (2001)Google Scholar
- Turrell, M.D., Stopford P.J., Syed, K.J., Buchanan, E.: CFD simulation of the flow within and downstream of a high-swirl lean premixed gas turbine combustor, ASME GT2004-53112 (2004) Google Scholar