Investigating the Role of a Model-Based Boundary Object in Facilitating the Communication Between Interaction Designers and Software Engineers
Interaction designers and software engineers design interactive systems under different yet complementary perspectives. It is necessary, however, to build bridges between the two areas, so that both professionals may contribute with their own expertise to the quality of the final product. One way to foster this communication is by means of shared representations. This paper presents a qualitative study that investigated the use of a set of HCI design representations as a boundary object to convey to software engineers the interaction design solution in the form of a blueprint of the application’s apparent behavior.
Keywordscommunication between HCI professionals and software engineers boundary objects interaction modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barbosa, S.D.J., Paula, M.G.: Designing and Evaluating Interaction as Conversation: a Modeling Language based on Semiotic Engineering. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Design, Specification, and Verification, Portugal (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.de Souza, C.: The Semiotic Engineering of Human-Computer Interaction. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Peirce, C.S.: Collected Papers, pp. 1931–1958. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- 4.Prates, R.O., de Souza, C.S., Barbosa, S.D.J.: A Method for Evaluating the Communicability of User Interfaces. ACM Interactions, 31–38 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Preece, J., Rogers, Y., Sharp, E., Benyon, D., Holland, S., Carey, T.: Human-Computer Interaction. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Pressman, R.S.: Software Engineering: A Practitioner’s Approach. McGraw-Hill Professional, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Silva, B.S.: MoLIC Segunda Edição: Revisão de uma linguagem para modelagem da interação humano-computador. Dissertação de Mestrado, PUC-Rio, Brasil (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Silveira, M.S.: Metacomunicação Designer-Usuário na Interação Humano-Computador. Tese de Doutorado, PUC-Rio, Brasil (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Yin, R.K.: Case Study Research: Design and Methods. SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks (2003)Google Scholar