A Graph Theoretic Analysis of Double Base Number Systems
Double base number systems (DBNS) provide an elegant way to represent numbers. These representations also have many interesting and useful properties, which have been exploited to find many applications in Cryptography and Signal Processing. In the current article we present a scheme to represent numbers in double (and multi-) base format by combinatorial objects like graphs and diagraphs. The combinatorial representation leads to proof of some interesting results about the double and multibase representation of integers. These proofs are based on simple combinatorial arguments. In this article we have provided a graph theoretic proof of the recurrence relation satisfied by the number of double base representations of a given integer. The result has been further generalized to more than 2 bases. Also, we have uncovered some interesting properties of the sequence representing the number of double base representation of a positive integer n. It is expected that the combinatorial representation can serve as a tool for a better understanding of the double (and multi-) base number systems.
KeywordsDouble base number system DBNS-graphs MB-graphs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Avanzi, R.M., Sica, F.: Scalar Multiplication on Koblitz Curves using Double Bases. Available at http://eprint.iacr.org/2006/067.pdf
- 3.Berth é, V., Imbert, L.: On converting numbers to the double-base number system. In: Luk, F.T. (ed.) Advanced Signal Processing Algorithms, Architecture and Implementations XIV, Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 5559, pp. 70–78. SPIE, San Jose, CA (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.de Weger, B.M.M.: Algorithms for Diophantine equations of CWI Tracts. In: Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam (1989)Google Scholar
- 10.Dimitrov, V.S., Imbert, L., Mishra, P.K.: The Double Base Number System and Its Applications to Elliptic Curve Cryptography. Research Report LIRMM #06032 (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Mishra, P.K., Dimitrov, V.: Efficient Quintuple Formulas and Efficient Elliptic Curve Scalar Multiplication using Multibase Number Representation. In ISC (to appear, 2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Mishra, P.K., Dimitrov, V.: WIndow-based Elliptic CUrve Scalar Multiplication Using Double Base Number Representation. In Inscrypt (to appear, 2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Reitwiesner, G.: Binary Arithmetic. Adv. Comput. 1, 231–308 (1962)Google Scholar