BadIdeas for Usability and Design of Medicine and Healthcare Sensors
This paper describes the use of a technique to improve design and to develop new uses and improve usability of user interfaces. As a case study, we focus on the design and usability of a research prototype of an actigraph - electronic activity and sleep study device - the Porcupine. The proposed BadIdeas technique was introduced to a team of students who work with this sensor and the existing design was analysed using this technique. The study found that the BadIdeas technique has promising characteristics that might make it an ideal tool in the prototyping and design of usability-critical appliances.
KeywordsHuman–Computer Interaction Usability Engineering Medical Informatics Human Factors Innovation BadIdeas
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Csikszentmihalyi, M.: Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention. Harper Perennial, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Dix, A., Finlay, J., Abowd, G D, Beale, R.: Human Computer Interaction. Prentice-Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Dix, A., Ormerod, T., Twidale, M., Sas, C., da Silva, P.G.: Why bad ideas are a good idea. In: Proceedings of HCIEd.2006-1 inventivity, Ireland, pp. 23–24 (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.FOBIS - Nordic Foresight Biomedical Sensors (26/6/2007), http://www.sintef.no/fobis/
- 5.IEEE/EMBS Technical Committee on Wearable Biomedical Sensors and Systems, http://embs.gsbme.unsw.edu.au/ (accessed on the 26/6/2007)
- 6.Korhonen, I.: IEEE EMBS Techical Committee on Wearable Biomedical Sensors and Systems. Pervasive Health Technologies. VTT Information Technology http://embs.gsbme.unsw.edu.au/wbss/docs/rep_ambience05.pdf (accessed on 26/6/2007)
- 7.Svagård, I.S.: FOBIS. Foresight Biomedical Sensors. WORKSHOP 1. Park Inn Copenhagen Airport SINTEF ICT( 6th October 2005) (accessed on 26/6/2007) http://www.sintef.no/project/FOBIS/WS1/Background%20for%20the%20foresight%20FOBIS_Svagard.pdf
- 8.Van Laerhoven, K., Gellersen, H.-W., Malliaris, Y.: Long-Term Activity Monitoring with a Wearable Sensor Node. In: Proc. of the third International Workshop on Body Sensor Nodes, pp. 171–174. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Van Laerhoven, K., Gellersen, H-W.: Fair Dice: A Tilt and Motion-Aware Cube with a Conscience. In: Proc. of IWSAWC 2006, IEEE Press, Lisbon (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Silva, P.A., Dix, A.: Usability: Not as we know it! British HCI, September, Lancaster, UK. 2007, vol. II, pp.103-106 ( 2007)Google Scholar