Modeling Elastic Vessels with the LBGK Method in Three Dimensions
The Lattice Bhatnagar Gross and Krook (LBGK) method is widely used to solve fluid mechanical problems in engineering applications. In this work a brief introduction of the LBGK method is given and a new boundary condition is proposed for the cardiovascular domain. This enables the method to support elastic walls in two and three spatial dimensions for simulating blood flow in elastic vessels. The method is designed to be used on geometric data obtained from magnetic resonance angiography without the need of generating parameterized surfaces. The flow field is calculated in an arbitrary geometry revealing characteristic flow patterns and geometrical changes of the arterial walls for different time dependent input contours of pressure and flow. For steady flow the results are compared to the predictions of the model proposed by Y. C. Fung which is an extension of Poiseuille’s theory. The results are very promising for relevant Reynolds and Womersley numbers, consequently very useful in medical simulation applications.
KeywordsSimulation Lattice Boltzmann Model Haemodynamics Elasticity Computer Fluid Dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Fang, H., Wang, Z., Lin, Z., Liu, M.: Lattice boltzmann method for simulating he viscous flow in large distensible blood vessels. Phys. Rev. E. (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Leitner, S., Wasssertheurer, M., Hessinger, M., Holzinger, A.: Lattice Boltzmann model for pulsative blood flow in elastic vessels. Springer Elektronik und Informationstechnik e&i 4, 152–155 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Leitner, D., Kropf, J., Wassertheurer, S., Breitenecker, F.: ASIM 2005. In: F, H. (ed.) 18thSymposium on Simulationtechnique (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Kowarschik, M.: Data locality optimizations for iterative numerical algorithms and cellular automata on hierarchical memory architectures. SCS Publishing House (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Wilke, J., Pohl, T., Kowarschik, M.: Cache performance optimizations for parallel lattice boltzmann codes. In: Kosch, H., Böszörményi, L., Hellwagner, H. (eds.) Euro-Par 2003. LNCS, vol. 2790, pp. 441–450. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Fung, Y.C.: Biomechanics, Mechanical Properties of Living Tissues, 2nd edn. Springer, Heidelberg (1993)Google Scholar
- 14.Fung, Y.C.: Biodynamics. In: Circulation, Springer, Heidelberg (1984)Google Scholar