Road Sign Detection Using Eigen Color
This paper presents a novel color-based method to detect road signs directly from videos. A road sign usually has specific colors and high contrast to its background. Traditional color-based approaches need to train different color detectors for detecting road signs if their colors are different. This paper presents a novel color model derived from Karhunen-Loeve(KL) transform to detect road sign color pixels from the background. The proposed color transform model is invariant to different perspective effects and occlusions. Furthermore, only one color model is needed to detect various road signs. After transformation into the proposed color space, a RBF (Radial Basis Function) network is trained for finding all possible road sign candidates. Then, a verification process is applied to these candidates according to their edge maps. Due to the filtering effect and discriminative ability of the proposed color model, different road signs can be very efficiently detected from videos. Experiment results have proved that the proposed method is robust, accurate, and powerful in road sign detection.
KeywordsRadial Basis Function Detection Result Color Model Road Sign Color Classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kehtarnavaz, N., Ahmad, A.: Traffic sign recognition in noisy outdoor scenes. In: Proceedings of Intelligent Vehicles 1995 Symposium, pp. 460–465 (September 1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Loy, G., Barnes, N.: Fast shaped-based road sign detection for a Driver Assistance System. In: IROS 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Wu, W., Chen, X., Yang, J.: Detection of Text on Road Signs From Video. IEEE Transactions on ITS 6(4), 378–390 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Barnes, N., Zelinsky, A.: Real-time radial symmetry for speed sign detection. In: Proc. IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Italy, pp. 566–571 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Bahlmann, C., et al.: A system for traffic sign detection, tracking, and recognition using color, shape, and motion information. In: Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 255–260 (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.de Saint Blancard, M.: Road Sign Recognition: A Study of Vision-based Decision Making for Road Environment Recognition, ch. 7. Springer, Heidelberg (1991)Google Scholar