Computer Aided Development and Simulation of a Remote Control VTOL Tiltwing Model Aircraft
This paper describes the computer aided development of a remote control tiltwing scale aircraft. Tiltwings —even scale models— are difficult to fly by human pilots due to their instability and the different flying modes they exhibit. For this reason a complex flight simulation and training environment and an onboard control system (fly-by-wire) that increases stability have been developed. Modular design, both for hardware and software, has been kept in mind in order to modify the prototypes easily and use them as test-beds for new concepts and configurations.
KeywordsVTOL Tiltwings Tiltrotors Fly-by-wire Control systems Remote control Flight simulation Computer tools
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hirschberg, M.J.: An Overview of the History of Vertical and/or Short Take-Off and Landing (V/STOL) Aircraft, http://www.vstol.org/
- 2.“Tiltrotor”: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/
- 3.“Tiltwing”: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/
- 4.Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey, http://www.boeing.com/rotorcraft/military/v22/
- 5.Bell/Agusta BA609, http://www.bellagusta.com/
- 6.Cicale, M.: Erica: The European Tiltrotor, Europe/US International Aviation Safety Conference, Cologne (June 7-9, 2005), http://www.easa.eu.int/conference2005/presentations/day2/New_Technologies/erica_easa.pdf
- 7.Pagnano, G.: Il convertiplano ERICA: evoluzione della ricerca nei Programmi Quadro europei. CRUI Viaggio della Ricerca in Italia Milano 17 giugno (2005), http://www.crui.it/crui/milano_7pq/CRUI170605_pagnano.ppt
- 9.“Fly-by-wire”. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_by_wire#Fly-by-wire
- 10.PIC18, MCU, http://www.microchip.com/
- 11.FlightGear, http://www.flightgear.org/
- 12.The Mathworks, http://www.mathworks.com/