A Genetic Algorithm for the Quadratic Multiple Knapsack Problem
The Quadratic Multiple Knapsack Problem (QMKP) is a generaliz- ation of the quadratic knapsack problem, which is one of the well-known combinatorial optimization problems, from a single knapsack to k knapsacks with (possibly) different capacities. The objective is to assign each item to at most one of the knapsacks such that none of the capacity constraints are violated and the total profit of the items put into the knapsacks is maximized. In this paper, a genetic algorithm is proposed to solve QMKP. Specialized crossover operator is developed to maintain the feasibility of the chromosomes and two distinct mutation operators with different improvement techniques from the non-evolutionary heuristic are presented. The performance of the developed GA is evaluated and the obtained results are compared to the previous study in the literature.
KeywordsQuadratic Multiple Knapsack Problem Genetic Algorithm Combinatorial Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chaillou, P., Hansen, P., Mahieu, Y.: Best network flow bound for the quadratic knapsack problem. In: Combinatorial Optimization. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 1403, pp. 225–235 (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.Julstrom, B.A.: Greedy, genetic, and greedy genetic algorithms for the quadratic knapsack problem. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, vol. 1, pp. 607–614 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Hiley, A., Julstrom, B.A.: The Quadratic multiple knapsack problem and three heuristic approaches to it. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, pp. 547–552 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Cotta, C., Troya, J.: A hybrid genetic algorithm for the 0-1 multiple knapsack problem. Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms 3, 250–254 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Anagun, A.S., Saraç, T.: Optimization of performance of genetic algorithm for 0-1 knapsack problems using Taguchi method. In: Gavrilova, M., Gervasi, O., Kumar, V., Tan, C.J.K., Taniar, D., Laganà, A., Mun, Y., Choo, H. (eds.) ICCSA 2006. LNCS, vol. 3982, pp. 678–687. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gen, M., Cheng, R.: Genetic Algorithms and Engineering Design. John Wiley & Sons, New York (1997)Google Scholar