The Bayesian Draughtsman: A Model for Visuomotor Coordination in Drawing
In this article we present a model of realistic drawing accounting for visuomotor coordination, namely the strategies adopted to coordinate the processes of eye and hand movement generation, during the drawing task. Starting from some background assumptions suggested by eye-tracking human subjects, we formulate a Bayesian model of drawing activity. The resulting graphical model is shaped in the form of a Dynamic Bayesian Network that combines features of both the Input–Output Hidden Markov Model and the Coupled Hidden Markov Model, and provides an interesting insight on mechanisms for dynamic integration of visual and proprioceptive information.
KeywordsHide Markov Model Active Vision Dynamic Bayesian Network Proprioceptive Information Drawing Task
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zeki, S.: Inner Vision. An Exploration of Art and the Brain. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Tchalenko, J., Dempere-Marco, R., Hu, X.P., Yang, G.Z.: Eye Movement and Voluntary Control in Portrait Drawing. In: The Mind’s Eye: Cognitive and Applied Aspects of Eye Movement Research, ch. 33, Elsevier, Amsterdam (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Coen Cagli, R., Coraggio, P., Napoletano, P.: DrawBot – A Bio–Inspired Robotic Portraitist. Digital Creativity Journal (in press, 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Ramnani, N.: The primate cortico–cerebellar system: anatomy and function. Nature Review Neuroscience 7 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Kording, K.P., Wolpert, D.M.: Bayesian decision theory in sensorimotor control. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 10(7) (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Pylyshyn, Z.W.: Situating vision in the world. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 4(5) (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Hayhoe, M.M., Ballard, D.H.: Eye Movements in Natural Behavior. Trends in Cognitive Science 9(188) (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Rizzolatti, G., Riggio, L., Sheliga, B.M.: Space and selective attention. In: Umiltà, C., Moscovitch, M. (eds.) Attention and Performance XV, MIT Press, Cambridge (1994)Google Scholar
- 13.Murphy, K.: Dynamic Bayesian Networks: Representation, Inference and Learning. PhD dissertation, Berkeley, University of California, Computer Science Division (2002)Google Scholar