Performance of Particle Swarm Optimization in Scheduling Hybrid Flow-Shops with Multiprocessor Tasks
In many industrial and computing applications, proper scheduling of tasks can determine the overall efficiency of the system. The algorithm, presented in this paper, tackles the scheduling problem in a multi-layer multiprocessor environment, which exists in many computing and industrial applications. Based on the scheduling terminology, the problem can be defined as multiprocessor task scheduling in hybrid flow-shops. This paper presents a particle swarm optimization algorithm for the solution and reports its performance. The results are compared with other well known meta-heuristic techniques proposed for the solution of the same problem. Our results show that particle swarm optimization has merits in solving multiprocessor task scheduling in a hybrid flow-shop environment.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Schedule Problem Completion Time Tabu Search Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Goldberg, D., Lingle, R.: Alleles, Loci, and the Traveling Salesman Problem. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Genetic Algorithms and Their Applications, pp. 154–159 (1985)Google Scholar
- 9.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: Particle Swarm Optimization. In: Proceedings of IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Network, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Kennedy, J.: The Particle Swarm: Social Adaptation of Knowledge. In: Proceedings of IEEE Int. Conf. on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 303–308 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Krawczyk, H., Kubale, M.: An Approximation Algorithm for Diagnostic Test Scheduling in Multi-computer Systems. IEEE Trans. Computers 34(9), 869–872 (1985)Google Scholar
- 12.Lee, C.Y., Cai, X.: Scheduling One and Two-processors Tasks on Two Parallel Processors. IIE Transactions 31, 445–455 (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Sivrikaya-Serifoglu, F., Tiryaki, I.U.: Multiprocessor Task Scheduling in Multistage Hybrid Flow-Shops: A Simulated Annealing Approach. In: Proceedings of 2nd Int. Conf. on Responsive Manufacturing, pp. 270–274 (2002)Google Scholar