Similarity Search over Incomplete Symbolic Sequences
Reliable measure of similarity between symbolic sequences is an important problem in the fields of database and data mining. A lot of distance functions have been developed for symbolic sequence data in the past years. However, most of them are focused on the distance between complete symbolic sequences while the distance measurement for incomplete symbolic sequences remains unexplored. In this paper, we propose a method to process similarity search over incomplete symbolic sequences. Without any knowledge about the positions and values of the missing elements, it is impossible to get the exact distance between a query sequence and an incomplete sequence. Instead of calculating this exact distance, we map a pair of symbolic sequences to a real-valued interval, i.e, we propose a lower bound and an upper bound of the underlying exact distance between a query sequence and an incomplete sequence. In this case, similarity search can be conducted with guaranteed performance in terms of either recall or precision. The proposed method is also extended to handle with real-valued sequence data. The experimental results on both synthetic and real-world data show that our method is both efficient and effective.
KeywordsSimilarity Search Query Sequence Query Result Complete Form Symbolic Sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Faloutsos, C., Swami, A.N.: Efficient Similarity Serach in Sequence Database. In: Proc. Conference of Foundations of Data Organization and Algorithms (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Agrawal, R., Lin, K.I., Sawhney, H.S., Shim, K.: Fast Similarity Search in the Presence of Noise, Scaling, and Translation in Time-Series Databases. VLDB Journal (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Chakrabarti, K., Garofalakis, M.N., Rastogi, R., Shim, K.: Approximate Query Processing Using Wavelets. The VLDB Journal (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Kahveei, T., Singh, A.: Variable Length Queries for Time Series Data. In: Proc. of The ICDE (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Yi, B.-K., Jagadish, H.V., Faloutsos, C.: Efficient Retrieval of Similar Time Sequence Under Time Warping. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 1998) (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Zdonik, S., Cetintemel, U., Cherniack, M., Convey, C.: Monitoring Streams:a New Class of Data Management Applications. In: Proc. VLDB (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Hsul, C.: Efficient Searches for Similar Subsequences of Different Lengths in Sequence Databases. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Data EngineeringGoogle Scholar