Towards Real-Time Compression of Hyperspectral Images Using Virtex-II FPGAs
Hyperspectral imagery is a new type of high-dimensional image data which is now used in many Earth-based and planetary exploration applications. Many efforts have been devoted to designing and developing compression algorithms for hyperspectral imagery. Unfortunately, most available approaches have largely overlooked the impact of mixed pixels and subpixel targets, which can be accurately modeled and uncovered by resorting to the wealth of spectral information provided by hyperspectral image data. In this paper, we develop an FPGA-based data compression technique which relies on the concept of spectral unmixing, one of the most popular approaches to deal with mixed pixels and subpixel targets in hyperspectral analysis. The proposed method uses a two-stage approach in which the purest pixels in the image (endmembers) are first extracted and then used to express mixed pixels as linear combinations of end-members. The result is an intelligent, application-based compression technique which has been implemented and tested on a Xilinx Virtex-II FPGA.
KeywordsHyperspectral Image Compression Algorithm Systolic Array Hyperspectral Data Mixed Pixel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chang, C.-I.: Hyperspectral imaging: Detection & classification. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Motta, G., Rizzo, F., Storer, J.A.: Hyperspectral data compression. Springer, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.El-Araby, E., El-Ghazawi, T., Le Moigne, J.: Wavelet spectral dimension reduction of hyperspectral imagery on a reconfigurable computer. In: Proc. of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology, vol. 1, pp. 861–867 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Fry, T., Hauck, S.: Hyperspectral image compression on reconfigurable platforms. In: Proc. of the 10th IEEE Symposium on Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines, vol. 1, pp. 305–312 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Ramakhrishna, B., Plaza, A., Chang, C.-I., Ren, H.: Spectral/spatial hyperspectral image compression. In: Motta, G., Rizzo, F., Storer, J.A. (eds.) Hyperspectral data compression, pp. 309–346 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, D., Pal, S.K.: Neural Nets & Systolic Array Design. World Scientific (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Dou, Y., Vassiliadis, S., Kuzmanov, G., Gaydadjiev, G.: 64-bit floating-point FPGA matrix multiplication. In: Proc. of the 13th ACM/SIGDA International Symposium on FPGAs, vol. 1, pp. 123–129 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Taubman, D.S., Marcellin, M.W.: JPEG2000: Image Compression Fundamentals, Standard and Practice. Kluwer, Boston (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Said, A., Pearlman, W.A.: A New, Fast, and Efficient Image Codec Based on Set Partitioning in Hierarchical Trees. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems 6, 243–350 (1996)Google Scholar