Simulation of Magnetohydrodynamic Effects on an Ionised Hypersonic Flow by Using the TAU Code
In the present investigation the DLR TAU code is extended to support future experimental investigations of magnetohydrodynamic effects in high temperature hypersonic flows. According to the conditions in the High Enthalpy Shock Tunnel Göttingen (HEG) the first steps in enhancing the TAU code are the implementation of a source term formulation of electromagnetic forces and the calculation of the electrical conductivity of air as a gas mixture in chemical non equilibrium. To verify the source term implementation a perfect gas study related to numerical simulations from Poggie and Gaitonde is conducted and shows reasonable agreement. Applied to the experimental conditions the model predicts a noticeable increase of the shock stand off distance.
KeywordsMagnetic Induction Vector Hypersonic Flow Pressure Contour Detach Eddy Simulation Magnetic Interaction Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Bottin: Aerothermodynamic Model of an Inductively-Coupled Plasma Wind Tunnel. Universite de Liege, VKI, ISBN 2-9600243-0-3, 1999.Google Scholar
- R.S. Devoto: Simpli_ed Expressions for the Transport Properties of Ionized Monoatomic Gases. Physics of Fluids, No. 10, Issue 10, October 1967.Google Scholar
- T. Fujino et al.: Numerical Analyses on Flow Control arouns Blunt Body. OREX. by Magnetic Field, AIAA 2003–3760, 2003.Google Scholar
- T. Gerholdet al.: Calculation of Complex three-dimensional con_gurations employing the DLR TAU Code. AIAA-97–0167, 1997.Google Scholar
- A Mack, V. Hannemann: Validation of the Unstructured DLR-TAU-Code for Hypersonic Hows. 32nd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, St. Louis (USA), 2002.Google Scholar
- H. Otsu, A. Matsuda, T. Abe, D. Korigorski: Numerical Validation of the Magnetic Flow Control for Reentry Vehicles, AIAA 2006–3236, June 2006.Google Scholar
- J. Poggie, D.V. Gaitonde: Computational Studies of Magnetic Control in Hypersonic Flow. AIAA 2001–10196, Reno, January 2001.Google Scholar