Direct Numerical Simulation of a Short Laminar Separation Bubble and Early Stages of the Bursting Process
Direct numerical simulation of a pressure-induced short laminar separation bubble developing on a flat plate has been carried out. Transition in this bubble was triggered by small disturbance input with a fixed frequency and fixed spanwise wave number. The resulting short bubble was shown to be converged in time to a statistically steady state, while possessing essential features of short laminar separation bubbles as reported in the literature. In the present case disturbance input is required to maintain a short bubble. Switching off this disturbance input yields a growing separation bubble. This phenomenon is denoted as bubble bursting, since indication is found that the bubble develops towards a long-bubble state.
KeywordsDirect Numerical Simulation Streamwise Velocity Separation Bubble Disturbance Input Linear Stability Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Häggmark, G: Investigations of disturbances developing in a laminar separation bubble flow. PhD thesis, TRITA-MEK 2000:3, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm (2000)Google Scholar
- Wissink, J., Rodi, W.: DNS of a laminar separation bubble affected by free-stream disturbances. In Friedrich, R., Geurts, B., Métais, O., eds.: Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation V. Volume 9 of ERCOFTAC Series., Proc. 5th internat. ERCOFTAC Workshop, Munich, Germany, Aug. 27–29, 2003, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Boston, London (2004) 213–220Google Scholar
- Owen, P.R., Klanfer, L.: On the Laminar Boundary Layer Separation from the Leading edge of a Thin Airfoil. Technical Report No. Aero 2508. In: A.R.G Technical Report C.P. No. 220, 1955, Royal Aircraft Establishment, UK (1953)Google Scholar
- Gaster, M.: The structure and behaviour of laminar separation bubbles. Number CP-4 in AGARD (1966) 83–854Google Scholar
- Diwan, S.S., Chetan, S.J., Ramesh, O.N.: On the bursting criterion for laminar separation bubbles. In Govindarajan, R., ed.: Laminar-Turbulent Transition, 6th IUTAM Symposium, Bangalore, India, 2004, Springer, Berlin, New York (2006) 401–407Google Scholar
- Marxen, O., Henningson, D.: Numerical Simulation of the Bursting of a Laminar Separation Bubble. In Nagel, W.E., Jäger, W., Resch, M., eds.: High Performance Computing in Science and Engineering’ 06, Transactions of the HLRS 2006, Springer (2006) 253–267Google Scholar
- Meyer, D., Rist, U., Kloker, M.: Investigation of the flow randomization process in a transitional boundary layer. In Krause, E., Jäger, W., eds.: High Performance Computing in Science and Engineering’ 03, Transactions of the HLRS 2003, Springer (2003) 239–253Google Scholar