RANS Simulations with One and Six Degrees of Freedom Rigid Body Motions
A one rotational degree of freedom and a six degree of freedom flight mechanics module are coupled to DLR’s RANS solver FLOWer. The algorithms used to solve the equations of motion are described. The 1-DOF module is validated for a freely rolling delta wing. A very good agreement with experimental data is observed. The capability of the 6-DOF module is demonstrated by a simulation of a store separating from a wing. The computation uses the overset grid technique to handle the movement of the bodies in relative motion.
KeywordsComputational Fluid Dynamics Wind Tunnel Roll Angle Delta Wing RANS Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arthur, M.T., Allen, M., Ceresola, N., Kompenhans, J., Fritz, W., Boelens, O.J., Prananta, B.B.: Exploration of the Free Rolling Motion of a Delta Wing Configuration in Vortical Flow. Proceedings of the NATO Symposium on Flow Induced Unsteady Loads and the Impact on Military Applications, (RTO-MP-AVT-123), Paper 14, Budapest, Hungary, April 25–28, 2005Google Scholar
- Benek, J.A., Steger, J.L., Dougherty, F.C.: A Flexible Grid Embedding Technique with Application to the Euler Equations. AIAA-Paper 83–1944, 1983Google Scholar
- Dol, H.S., Kok, J.C., Oskam, B.: Turbulence Modelling for Leading-Edge Vortex Flows. AIAA-Paper 2002-0843, 2002Google Scholar
- Fassbender, J.K.: Robust and Efficient Computation of Turbulent Flows around Civil Transport Aircraft at Flight Reynolds Numbers. Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 9, 2005, pp. 672–680Google Scholar
- Jameson, A., Schmidt, W., Turkei, E.: Numerical Solutions of the Euler Equations by Finite Volume Methods using Runge-Kutta Time-Stepping Schemes. AIAA-Paper 81–1259, 1981Google Scholar
- Jameson, A.: Time Dependent Calculations Using Multigrid, with Applications to Unsteady Flows Past Airfoils and Wings. AIAA-Paper 91–1596, 1991Google Scholar
- Melson, N.D., Sanetrik, M.D., Atkins, H.L: Time-Accurate Navier-Stokes Calculations with Multigrid Acceleration. Proceedings of the 6th Copper Mountain Conference on Multigrid Methods, NASA Conference Publication 3224, 1993, pp. 423–439Google Scholar
- Murman, S.M., Aftosmis, M.J., Berger, M.J.: Simulation of 6-DOF Motion with a Cartesian Method. AIAA-Paper 2003-1246, 2003Google Scholar
- Schütte, A., Einarsson, G., Madrane, A., Schöning, B., Mönnich, W., Krüger, W.-R.: Numerical Simulation of Manoeuvring Aircraft by CFD Aerodynamic and Flight-Mechanic Coupling. RTO-AVT Symposium 2002, Paris, France, April 22–24, 2002Google Scholar
- Schwarz, T.: The Overlapping Grid Technique for the Time-accurate Simulation of Rotorcraft Flows. 31st European Rotorcraft Forum, Florence, Italy, September 13–15, 2005Google Scholar
- Wilcox, D.C.: Reassessment of the Scale-Determining Equation for Advanced Turbulence Models. AIAA Journal, Vol. 26, No. 11, November 1988Google Scholar