Simulation of Oscillating Airfoils and Moving Flaps Employing the DLR-TAU Unsteady Grid Adaptation
The use of unsteady adaptation with the DLR-TAU Navier-Stokes solver is presented as a method of improving the modelling of flows where the aerodynamic performance of a body is determined by the action of moving localised regions of high-gradient flow. Examples are presented of transonic limit cycle oscillation and dynamic stall. First results indicate that good grid convergence can be achieved without necessarily requiring that the flow around the specific airfoil is well understood in advance.
KeywordsReynolds Average Navier Stoke Reynolds Average Navier Stoke Aerodynamic Performance Pitching Moment Grid Convergence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Voss, R., Geissler, W.: Investigation of the Unsteady Airloads with Oscillating Control in Sub-and Transonic Flows, Proceedings DGLR International Symposium on Aeroelasticity 1981, Nuremberg. DGLR-Bericht 82-01, pp. 65–80 (1982)Google Scholar
- Saitoh, K., Voss, R., Kheirandish, H.: Numerical study of nonlinearity of unsteady aerodynamics for NLR7301 profile, IFASD 2005, Munich, Germany, 28 June–01 July 2005Google Scholar
- Gerhold, T., Friedrich, O., Evans, J., Galle, M.: Calculation of Complex Three-Dimensional Configurations Employing the DLR-TAU-Code AIAA 97–0167, 1997.Google Scholar
- www.centaursoft.comGoogle Scholar
- Edwards, J.R., Chandra, S.: Comparison of Eddy Viscosity-Transport Turbulence Models for Three-Dimensional, Shock-Separated Flowfields, AIAA Journal, V34, N4, 1996.Google Scholar
- Alrutz, T.: Chapter 7: Hybrid Grid Adaptation in TAU, in MEGAFLOW: Numerical Flow Simulation for Aircraft Design Results of the second phase of the German CFD initiative MEGAFLOW, pp 109–116, 2002.Google Scholar
- Alrutz, T, Orlt M.: Parallel dynamic grid refinement for industrial applications, ECCOMAS 2006, The Netherlands, Sept. 5–8, 2006.Google Scholar
- Geissler, W., Dietz, G., Mai, H., Bosbach, J., Richard, H.: Dynamic Stall and its Passive Control Investigations on the OA209 Airfoil Section, 31st European Rotorcraft Forum, Florence, Italy, 2005Google Scholar
- Geissler, W., Haselmeyer, H.: Investigation of dynamic stall onset, Aerospace Science and Technolgy, No. 10, pp. 590–600, Elsevier, 2006Google Scholar
- Richter, K.: Druckverteilungsmessung am 2D-Profil VC-Opt mit split Flaps im Transonischen Windkanal Göttingen, Internal Report IB-224-2004-C-01, DLR, 2003.Google Scholar
- Richter, K., Rosemann, H.: Experimental investigation of trailing-edge devices at transonic speeds, Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society, pp185–193, 2002.Google Scholar