High-Reynolds-Number Design of a Wing Section Including Control of Boundary Layer Properties
A novel high Reynolds number design method was investigated and conducted for transonic airfoils with an application in the outer part of a modern transport aircraft wing. In contrast to conventional low Reynolds number design methods, this method exploits full aerodynamic performance and controls the boundary layer properties. Three airfoils were created for transonic free flight conditions with very similar aerodynamic performance, but different boundary layer developments on the upper surface. The performance and boundary layer properties of the airfoils were discussed and validated by RANS computations.
KeywordsDesign Point Lift Coefficient Aerodynamic Performance Skin Friction Coefficient Boundary Layer Development
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Van der Velden: “Pointer Design Automation Software”, Synaps Inc., 1996Google Scholar
- R. Eppler: “Airfoil Program System, User’s Guide”, Institut für Mechanik, Universität Stuttgart, 1988Google Scholar
- M. Drela: “Two-dimensional aerodynamic design and analysis using the Euler equations”, Dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Techn., 1985Google Scholar
- T. Gerhold, O. Friedrichs, J. Evans and M. Galle: “Calculation of Complex Three-Dimensional Configurations Employing the DLR-T-Code”, AIAA 97-0167, 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, January 6–10, 1997Google Scholar
- J.R. Edwards and S. Chandra: “Comparison of Eddy Viscosity-Transport Turbulence Models for Three-Dimensional, Shock-Separated Flowfields”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 34, No. 4, April 1996Google Scholar
- http://www.centaursoft.comGoogle Scholar
- T. Alrutz: “Chapter 7: Hybrid Grid Adaptation in TAU”, in MEGAFLOW: Numerical Flow Simulation for Aircraft Design Results of the second phase of the German CFD initiative MEGAFLOW, pp. 109–116, 2002Google Scholar
- D. John: “Ein Verfahren zur Berechnung der Grenzschichtströmung aus Navier-Stokes Ergebnissen in unstrukturierten Netzen”, Airbus-D, interner Bericht, 2003Google Scholar