A Simplified Human Vision Model Applied to a Blocking Artifact Metric
A novel approach towards a simplified, though still reliable human vision model based on the spatial masking properties of the human visual system (HVS) is presented. The model contains two basic characteristics of the HVS, namely texture masking and luminance masking. These masking effects are implemented as simple spatial filtering followed by a weighting function, and are efficiently combined into a single visibility coefficient. This HVS model is applied to a blockiness metric by using its output to scale the block-edge strength. To validate the proposed model, its performance in the blockiness metric is determined by comparing it to the same blockiness metric having different HVS-based models embedded. The results show that the proposed model is indeed simple, without compromising its accuracy.
KeywordsHuman vision model image quality assessment luminance masking texture masking blockiness metric
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Osberger, W., Maeder, A.J., McLean, D.: A Computational Model of the Human Visual System for Image Quality Assessment. In: Proc. DICTA-97, pp. 337–342 (December 1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Yu, Z., Wu, H.R.: Human Visual System Based Objective Digital Video Quality Metrics. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Signal Processing, vol. II, pp.1088–1095 (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Yu, Z., Wu, H.R., Winkler, S., Chen, T.: Vision Model Based Impairment Metric to Evaluate Blocking Artifacts in Digital Video. Proc. of the IEEE, 154–169 (January 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Yeh, E.M., Kokaram, A.C., Kingsburg, N.G.: A Perceptual Distortion Measure for Edge-Like Artifacts in Image Sequences. Human Vision and Electronic Imaging III, pp. 160-172, SPIE (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Karunasekera, S.A., Kingsbury, N.G.: A Distortion Measure for Blocking Artifacts in Images Based on Human Visual Sensitivity. IEEE Trans. Image Processing (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Chou, C.H., Li, Y.C.: A Perceptually Tuned Subband Image Coder Based on the Measure of Just-Noticeable-Distortion profile. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (December 1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Pappas, T.N., Safranek, R.J.: Perceptual criteria for image quality evaluation. In: Bovik, A.C. (ed.) Handbook of Image and Video Processing, Academic Press, San Diego (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Laws, K.I.: Texture Energy Measures. In: Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop, Los Angeles, pp. 47–51 (1979)Google Scholar
- 12.VQEG: Final report from the video quality experts group on the validation of objective models of video quality assessment (August 2003), http://www.vqeg.org/
- 13.Sheikh, H.R., Wang, Z., Cormack, L., Bovik, A.C.: LIVE image quality assessment database. http://live.ece.utexas.edu/research/quality