Assessing Artery Motion Compensation in IVUS
Cardiac dynamics suppression is a main issue for visual improvement and computation of tissue mechanical properties in IntraVascular UltraSound (IVUS). Although in recent times several motion compensation techniques have arisen, there is a lack of objective evaluation of motion reduction in in vivo pullbacks. We consider that the assessment protocol deserves special attention for the sake of a clinical applicability as reliable as possible. Our work focuses on defining a quality measure and a validation protocol assessing IVUS motion compensation. On the grounds of continuum mechanics laws we introduce a novel score measuring motion reduction in in vivo sequences. Synthetic experiments validate the proposed score as measure of motion parameters accuracy; while results in in vivo pullbacks show its reliability in clinical cases.
Keywordsvalidation standards quality measures IVUS motion compensation conservation laws Fourier development
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wentzel, J., Krams, R., et al.: Relationship between neointimal thickness and shear stress after wallstent implantation in human coronary arteries. Circulation 103(13), 1740–1745 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Kakadiaris, I.A., O’Malley, S.M., Vavuranakis, M., Carlier, S., Metcalfe, R., Hartley, C.J., Falk, E., Naghavi, M.: Signal-processing approaches to risk assessment in coronary artery disease. Technical Report UH-CS-06-09, Department of Computer Science, University of Houston (June 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Leung, K.Y.E., Baldewsing, R., Mastik, F., et al.: Motion compensation for intravascular ultrasound palpography for in vivo vulnerable plaque detection. In: IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, vol. 1, pp. 253–256 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Hernàndez, A., Radeva, P., Tovar, A., Gil, D.: Vessel structures alignment by spectral analysis of ivus sequences. In: Proc. of CVII, MICCAI Workshop (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Rosales, M., Radeva, P., Rodriguez, O., Gil, D.: Suppression of IVUS image rotation. In: Frangi, A.F., Radeva, P.I., Santos, A., Hernandez, M. (eds.) FIMH 2005. LNCS, vol. 3504, pp. 359–368. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Whitaker, S.: Introduction to Fluid Mechanics. Krieger Pub. Co. (1992)Google Scholar